Chapter Seventeen

Mum and I were seated on the couch when a resounding knock echoed through the door. The wall clock says it's 6pm and I was certain who it would be. The knock came on again and angrily, I lifted myself off the couch, trotting towards the door. Unbolting the hook, I twisted the knob and opened up.

It was aunty Tee, not surprisingly accompanied by Miss Eby.

Truthfully, I wasn't pleased at all but I held my disgust.

"Welcome aunty, good evening Miss Eby" I greeted.

"You should address her as aunty" Aunty Tee cautioned.

"Welcome aunty" I said, trying to be civil. She smiled and nodded.

Walking past me, aunty Eby patted my back, quickly rubbing my head as though I was a dog. I squished in disgust and at that moment felt like running into the shower just to wash off her bloody touch.

They walked through the sitting room and I could hear Miss Eby murmur a greeting to mum, who obviously welcomed them.

"Is she living with us now?" I asked mum as I crouched beside her. Mum smiled and shook her head. I scoffed.

Few minutes later, aunty Tee and her friend walked into the sitting room. Casting a glance at the programme airing on TV, Aunty Tee eyed mum and I, her hands reaching for the remote. Aunty Eby coughed slowly, turning to the dinning. Aunty Tee withdrew, turning to her friend.

"Guess you're hungry?" She asked. Aunty Eby nodded, pulling a chair. She lowered herself in it while Aunty Tee trotted into the kitchen.

My eyes were affixed the kitchen door as I patiently waited for her to come out, and she didn't disappoint when she finally did. A garnished plate of jollof rice mum had made that evening, each plate having three large pieces of meat adoring it.

My heart was wrenching in anger.

Not even the courtesy to ask mum for food? Or at least seek a polite permission?

What impudence!

I turned to the television, the CSI programme suddenly boring to me. From the corner of my eyes I watched keenly as they munched their food, their incessant laughter echoing through the room.

When they were through, aunty Tee cleared the plates, taking them into the kitchen. And without thinking, I followed suit.

I guess mum had the premonition of what I was about to do and called me back immediately, but I was quick to point out that I needed a glass of water. At the kitchen door, I saw aunty dump the plates in the sink as usual before proceeding to the fridge for water.

She and her friend never washes their dishes after meal, they always leave them for mum or myself to clean. But this time around, I won't keep quiet.

"Aunty Tee, mum is very ill and can't probably do everything herself" I began. "It will therefore do us all a lot of good if you would wash your plates after eating. And moreover, my mum is not a maid" I added boldly.

To say she was shocked would be a lie, she was transfixed as it took her few minutes to digest what she's just heard.

"What did you just say?" she asked furiously.

"You heard me aunty, and very clear I guess. Kindly wash your plates after eating please and...."

"Shut your mouth you silly buffoon. What arrogance! How dare you speak to me in that manner?" she thundered coming closer to me.

I was never afraid. I stood still, hands akimbo waiting for her.

Her rants attracted mum and Miss Eby who ran to the kitchen to know what was happening.

"What is it Ada m? Why is your aunty scolding you?" Mum asked softly.

"Because I asked her to wash her plates after meal, since you're very sick. And before you ask me to wash those, I can't possibly wash after her mum. They can't eat and leave the dirty plates lying around waiting to be washed. I reminded her that you weren't a house help, that's all" I answered.

I was in tears. I was hurt.

Mum held my hands, and as expected scolded me for speaking to my aunt in a rude manner.

Truth be told, I wasn't listening! It was like water poured into a basket.

Done with her preaching, mum gently asked me to apologize. Shocked, I glanced at my mum and her countenance gave it all away. It was very obvious she's avoiding another quarrel.

"Silly girl! Would I blame you? I won't, not at all! That's how you've been ill trained with no iota of respect nor manners!" She barked. "By the way, should I be surprised? They say an apple doesn't fall far from its tree" She sighed, still waiting for my apology.

I shook my head, looked her in the eyes and began.
"Aunty Tee, you have brought so much sadness in this house that I really desire you leave, like right now if possible" I was staring at her eyeballs, not blinking even once. "Look at my mum, what has this woman done to you? You just hate her for your own selfishness. I do not care about your history. You have finally taken control of your brother, my dad's life, isn't that enough? You treat my mum like a slave that most times I wonder why she keeps tolerating you; because I won't tolerate half of what she has if I have you as a sister in-law!" My tone was gradually rising, and everyone seem to be at attention, glued to my words. "You are rejoicing in my mum's pain and celebrating, but do no worry it wont last for long. You changed our sitting room without informing her, did she complain? You carried the television in their room, she never complained. You took charge of her own house opening ceremony, she endured, it was by God's grace that we were able to convince dad that we can handle my birthday party, she still swallowed the insult. Now you have introduced your friend to my dad and even brought her home to stay with you in my mum's house without even informing her first, and sadly my dad sees nothing wrong in it. Since your friend arrived in the picture, my dad now returns late and no longer cares for us. It's always everyday meeting with your friend, and that is why I want to ask you..." I paused and turned slowly to take a good look at a bewildered Miss Eby, directing my question to her; "Don't you have a house? How would you feel if your own sister in-law brings in a woman to your matrimonial home without informing you, more so your consent? You know what's funny, when it happens to you now you will start accusing innocent Satan, when you have dug your grave yourself!" I said, hissing loudly...
*****
Hi people

Another chapter

So, is Adaoma overreacting?

Would you call her 'spoilt'?

How would you control the situation if you were her mum?

Kindly vote
Comment
And recommend

Till tomorrow lovelies...