Chapter Eighteen

Aunty Tee and Miss Eby were relieved from their shock at the sound of my hiss, and without as much as a word, aunty rushed towards me, her eyes filled with venom and her right hand raised above her shoulder, ready to hit me.

But like a lightening, mum raced in between us, her eyes filled with rage and unspoken words which bore burning warnings to my aunt, to never pull that stunt again.

Aunty Tee saw the fire in mum’s eyes and withdrew, as though a force pulled her to a stop.

“I will deal with you Ada, it’s a promise and I'm betting my life on it” She said, storming out of the kitchen.

“Come wash your plates oo, I just you haven't forgotten that!" I screamed, my angry eyes trailing her as she walked away. "If you don't, hmm I will just pack them to your door, I won't even waste another word saying it” I warned, my heartbeat escalating as the words spurred out my lips.

Aunty slammed her door shut, the deafening sound angering me the more. Miss Eby was still standing by the doorway, lips apart moping at me.

I didn’t mind as I just cast her another scornful look, before turning to the door and walking into the sitting room, the sound of my hiss echoing behind.

I guess she was so dumbfounded at the scene that just played out before her.

Oh I've forgotten to mention that, I was so proud of my mum. Yes! I couldn't believe she could turn into a human shield just for me. I know mum loves me, but I've always believed that her marriage or whatever demon she's fighting, occupied a larger space than I, in her heart. But today, she proves me wrong.

My heartbeat was still erratic, with the thoughts of- "what if mum wasn't here? what if she hadn't rushed in between Tee and I when she did?" -filling up my heart.

To be sincere, Tee would have mauled me, but she would have left our house too, cos dad would have been livid with her.

I'm certain about that!

Mum couldn’t take the heat anymore. The fights, the troubles, the insults and Miss Eby, so she called the only person who would give her a straight up advice, aunty Mma.

"Let her stand in the gap, Nekky since you can't fight them. Don't think she doesn't know what's happening around her cos she does and moreover she's forcefully growing stronger and wiser everyday" Aunty Mma was quick to tell mum.

I know she'd said this to mum cos she understands the lots of affection dad has for me and Zara, and also aware that Tee cannot touch me unless she wants to be on dad's bad books.

But Tee tried hitting me earlier today which means she maybe, doesn't give a damn again... Or I pushed her too hard to the wall that she lost her temper.

Whichever way, it was great news to me. If she touches me, the house would become hotter for her and I'm certain she can't stand dad's wrath, and if she controls her temper, then she'll be forced to do as I say just to avoid my troubles.

Mum agreed with aunty Mma and the plan was hatched.

I became mum’s mouth piece at that tender age, always trying to sniff out what wasn't right while fighting to make it better.

I became rebellious.

No matter what it turned me into, it still didn't matter to me cos at last I was happy I could help.

As I expected, aunty Tee shared the news about my confrontation with her family and within minutes, SMS constantly trickled into mum's phone. The beeping sound driving me nuts.

Thankfully, mum was sprawled on the couch asleep, with her phone laying on the centre table. I intuitively tiptoed to her, and without a sound slide the phone off the table.