Chapter Fifteen

“You don’t say that Ada m" Mum said loosening her grip on my shoulders. Her eyes were wet with tears and her lips twitching to force a smile. "Marriage is a very beautiful thing. A truly beautiful adventure" She continued, her neck arching her head up to look towards the ceiling. She closed her eyes smiling as though reminiscing about some beautiful old days. She dragged in a long breathe, and exhaled it noisily. She then looked down on me, her eyes opening slowly. "Your dad is only experiencing a meltdown, he will come around my daughter" Her eyes were still on me, but very happy now. "Please do not resent your dad Nne, for my sake and for your own happiness” Mum pleaded.

I was sure she could feel her family crashing before her eyes, something no woman would want to experience. The only being I feel that is least affected is my little sister Zara, whom I feel is still very young to understand what is happening around her. Even at this, I'm not certain she's feeling homely in this toxic nest.

To be sincere, I no longer look to having my dad around neither do I fancy aunty Tee's presence in our house. Right now all I desire and pray, is for her to leave this very moment cos I'm sure her daily presence was the root cause of everything. Sadly looking at the situation, my prayer is only a wish cos dad wouldn’t support his sister to leave the house unless she does that on her own freewill, and going by that, I'm certain she wouldn't be leaving so soon as she wasn’t done wrecking our home!

With everything happening now, my once exciting birthday has suddenly become the least of my worries. I'm no longer looking forward to it neither am I excited at the thought of it even though mum still had everything rolling. She'd assured me severally that nothing would ever disrupt my day, nor make her go back on her promise of throwing me a wonderful birthday party, except death maybe.

My almighty birthday is in few weeks but I've already lost the vibe.

“Don’t worry my baby, everything will be fine. I know you've seen my pain and I know you do not appreciate how I feel, the pain I pass through and the neglect I have recently received from your dad, but I just want you to know that I'm strong and holding up for you and your sister" Her hands were on my shoulders again. "I want you to understand that whatever pain I endure today, I do because of you and your sister. I want you both to have the best"

“Are we having the best mum?" I asked, my eyes staring up at her.  "Are we really mum? Is it the constant fights between you and dad? Or the ones between you, grandma and aunty Tee? What best are you talking about?" My eyes were becoming teary now. "The only best we have here is the heartache, pain, confusion, and gross idea about marriage which you all made possible!" I said, trail of warm tears betraying my strength. "We are not having the best. Not now, and never tomorrow! I hate my dad, aunty Tee, grandma and everyone in dad’s family. I wish they will all disappear from the face of this earth. I just wish the ground will open and swallow them all up…"

“Shhhhhh….” Mum hushed me. “Shut up! That’s very callous to say! They are family!”

“What kind of family treats their fellow member like this?" I retorted disrespectfully, my eyes trailing her entire body.

A long pause.

"But from what I heard mum" I said softly breaking the sudden silence. "You and aunty Tee used to be good friends cos I can still remember her threats about being the one who brought you into this family. Please mum, what happened?” I asked.

Recently, I've been suddenly thinking that maybe getting to understand aunty Tee’s anger might help me judge her better.

“Yes!” mum replied smiling. “She was a very good friend of mine. A very wonderful friend of mine back then in the university”.