Chapter Twenty Eight

"What's with the tears and hugs?" Mum's voice echoed behind us. Dad released his hold and I stepped out, brushing off another tear.

"Father-daughter moment" He replied, smiling at me. "We need to get going!" He added scooping Zara up, and without another word led the way out.

The drive to his secret destination was more fun than eating chocolates. Dad shared series of jokes and even had a brief cartoon question and answer session with Zara. Each correct response had everyone clapping and Zara jumping up.

Dad pulled up at a magnificent building which rocked it's white painting to the fullest. Three rows of non-transparent glass panels ran from the down floor to the third, with two tiny rope-like black aluminum demarcating them from up to down. The main entrance was a glass door which served as a base for the glass panels.

The building prides itself with a vast interlocked space, rounded off by a dwarf fence. This space which spread wide like a field, served as its parking lot. Even though I know not much about cars, but I can confidently quote that this space possesses the capacity of accommodating over eighty cars. Few cars were already lined up in different directions abiding strictly to the drawn black lines visible on the interlocks. These lines which indicates the mode of parking, serves as guides to drivers who loves breaking the rules.

An inscription bearing "Eat Rite" written in large red bold letters, was crested high above the glass door with a young man in red polo manning it.

My eyes widened and my ears tingled as my brain processed what I'd just read. Eat rite? I laughed at my silly self, scolding my poor head for always mentally spelling it as Eat Right!

I've heard about this place though vaguely, from classmates who had visited it with their parents. I remembered when I'd be so mad at them for riling my ears with constant talks of how amazing their cooking was, and how much more amazing their building is. Right now, sitting in my dad's car and moping at it, I just can't wait to start school so I can hint them that I've been here too. Mine will be more special since it's like a family reunion.

As we stepped out of the car, dad walked round it to hold mum, or maybe support her. I held unto Zara firmly not wanting her to escape my grip and force me into the catch game, police and thief.

Mum and dad were giggling, exchanging inaudible words ear to ear. Even though I was right behind them, I couldn't still figure out why they kept laughing hysterically. Then, I saw dad whisper something into mum's ear and watched her nearly fall down from intense laughter. I shook my head.

What is he saying to her?

"Whatever" I murmured to myself, my eyes lowering and grazing over Zara who wouldn't stop searching my trouser pocket for her imaginary o'toodles. Thanks to Mickey Mouse.

Stepping inside the exotic building, I was greeted by this ominous space it possessed, you know like a double large hall fused together. However, each table space was designed as a cubicle to make it more personal and create a little warmth.

Over four gold chandeliers hung in different strategic points on the ceiling, with different colours of light bulbs illuminating it. An upturned rotating disco light sat on the wall a little above the counter, its lights shining and shimmering the entire space with bright dancing light which splattered colourful rays on the white roof.

Dad quickly pointed out a cubicle by our far right which was more charming than the rest. The table and chairs were specially decorated in red and white chiffon, their extended tips twisted and wrapped into balls of roses.

The mere sight of the little haven made my heart swell in happiness, and the smile radiating through mum's face can't be equated. We stride to our table and settled in.