Chapter Sixty Two

*ADAOMA*

"Then I'll be more specific" Aunt Tobi responded fixing a stronger gaze on dad. He squirmed.

"My question is, do you have any baggage you need to offload here? If there is any, my sister needs to know before making this life decision" Her tone was as firm as a rock, and for a second I felt as though she knew dad was hiding something. Dad was quiet and at a point, exchanged glances with grandma.

"I think I would like to have a personal discussion with her on that, that's if you don't mind please" He pleaded in a very calm manner, and right then I knew I just had to wait for a bombshell.

Mum turned to her brother who gave a firm nod, encouraging her to go ahead. Mum stood up and walked towards the balcony with dad trotting behind.

The door leading to the balcony was left slightly open which offered me the opportunity to enhance and utilize my eavesdropping skills. I strained my ear, trying to pick up whatever dad was saying to her, but they were all jumbled words. I sighed.

Just as I was about giving up, I heard a high pitched outburst.

"What?"

It was mum. Whatever dad had said must have been devastating to her. She was silent again which piqued my curiosity. The burning desire to know what's being said was driving me nuts as I kept trying to put meaning into the monotones I was picking up from dad.

Just few seconds later, I heard angry footsteps walking into the sitting room and zooming pass us and into the inner room. My gaze followed mum as she walked away angrily, just like the others in the room. And as if on queue, we all turned towards dad who was standing by the door maybe devastated to walk in.

"Is it something I need to know?" Uncle Stan asked. Dad breathed out heavily and nodded slowly.

"But it will be best if she be the one to tell you. I'm sorry as I can't bring myself to say it"

"Ada please go in and call your mum, we are not yet done with the meeting" Uncle said to me. I arose and walked into the room, and beheld a bitterly crying mum. I held her.

"I know you don't want to talk about it but that's okay. Uncle said I should call you so that we can continue the meeting"

"Please tell him you all should carry on without me, I need to rest and think". Mum said.

I didn't need to ask why neither did I persuade her to come. Dad's first day in the house and mum has started crying again; doesn't this show a red flag? I delivered mum's response and the meeting was rescheduled. I didn't even bid them goodbye, I just went in to soothe my crying mum. Dad is here again and the reign of tears has begun. Mum must be wise, very wise in her decision making.

Our life normalized again but I wasn't happy neither was mum. She tried a lot to cover up her pains before me but obviously was actually doing a terrible job of it as I can read and understand her like the back of my palms. I wanted to know why she was crying and the secret dad couldn't say before his family and hers. I wanted to know what was happening and I was sure I deserved to know. She has constantly shielded me away from this and that got my interest heightened far more than I'd expected.

This Saturday afternoon was a rather quiet one at home. Mum was in her room, the kids were in the sitting room yet the house still feels empty. Since mum's secret discussion with dad, our lives has turned the other way even though everyone still pretends all is fine. I wasn't okay with it, and really desire to seek out what the problem was. And today I truly intend to achieve that. So I walked into mum's room.

"Mum what is going on?" I asked sitting beside her. She was on her bed, lost in thought.

"What's what?" she asked feigning anger but I wasn't ready to give into her prank.