Chapter Twenty Seven

A loud bang on the door jerked me up from sleep, and had me running off without bothering to switch on the light. I guess it awoke mum too, as I met her panicking at the sitting room. Still partially blind since my eyes haven't really adjusted to the dark room, I traced my hand on the wall just beside the door frame. Sliding my fingers a little higher up the wall, it made contact with the switch. Quickly, I pushed the button down and the lights flicked on.

"Don't be scared mum, it's already past four" I said as my eyes darted to the wall clock which hung on the wall behind mum, right in the diner. Sparing her a weak smile, I turned to the door.

"What are you doing?" She murmured wide eyed. "No one in their right senses would come knocking on someone's door by this time Ada, unless it's.... "

And the knock came one again cutting her off. I watched as mum shook in fright.

"Let me grab my phone, we need to call your dad" She said, quickly turning to  her room but the hoarse voice which echoed behind the door halted her.

"Ada!"

That was dad.

Mum raced off to the door, struggling pathetically with the bolt. When she finally had it unbolted, she began fumbling to unhook the keys which hung on a key holder beside the door. Her hands were shaking terribly as they continually failed to insert the key into the keyhole.

"Let me do this mum" I said gently, nudging her off and taking the keys from her still shaky hands.

Even though my heartbeat, I was sure has reached its maximum since it keeps pounding and resounding beneath my chest, I managed to calm my nerves as I gently worked with the keys.

"Be fast! He might be in danger!" Mum screamed my ears off.

Love.

With the door finally open, she rushed out to the balcony, and walk-ran to the front door. I was right behind her.

"Ada!" Dad called out again but mum was already unlocking the door.

"We're here" She said pulling the door open.

Immediately dad walked in, his hands pulled mum to himself, hugging and squeezing her tight.

I shrugged and moved away. Back to my room. They can definitely take care of each other.

Zara was still fast asleep, her toes twitching and her legs moving gently as she snores calmly. Few times her lips will broaden into a brief smile and I'll watch her lips mumble incoherent sounds. I shook my head, even in sleep, she's still hyperactive.

I couldn't bring myself to sleep again so I sat up on our bed, with my back resting on the wall. I straightened myself as I heard the door slam shut. The loud sound made my heart skip, pushing the memories of dad beating mum up into my head. The different scenes flashed before me forcing me to shut my eyes firmly just to push them far, far away from me. Goose pimples pierced out my hands, and gently made their way up, taking over my whole skin. They were rough and spooky, and the bellowing breeze outside my window didn't seem to mind at all. I felt cold instantly, and wrapped my hands on my body just to keep warm.

Then I heard their giggles and laughter and my heart began to relax again, with a satisfying warmth melting off its coolness. Beautiful thoughts of our former life found it's way into my heart and I held onto them as I lay back on my bed.

A hilarious tone awoke me, with my eyes snapping open to a very bright room. I guess I slept off while thinking about the good life we all could have together again. The laughter came on again and a smile spread across my lips.