Chapter Fourteen

Grandma watched dad with keen interest as he dragged out his phone from his pocket. Her eyes whicho trailed him from the helm of his head to the tip of his toes were filled with pain and anger. Dad didn't seem to take cognizance as he busied his hands with his phone, his head never lifting off the screen.

Grandma slowly cleared her throat, a way of drawing his attention. It worked, he looked up.

"Emeka, what happened? Do you want to kill my daughter for me?" She asked, her eyeballs spitting fire. "How would you hit your wife so hard? Is she a common criminal? Even at that, doesn't she deserve mercy?" Grandma cried.

"Mama you know I've never ever laid a finger on her before... "

Grandma was quick to nod in agreement. "I know nwa m (my child), I've never seen you this way, ever!"

"Thank God you said you haven't seen me this way." Dad paused. "Mama she's becoming so disrespectful especially since that stupid friend of hers, eh what's that her name again?"

"Mma you mean?" Grandma chipped in.

"Yes that one Mama. Mma has been advising her, feeding her with cruel thoughts and believe me Mama, your daughter is really acting them all out" Dad defended.

"Eh nwa m, just like I told her earlier, I've never seen you in this manner before" Grandma agreed shaking her head in slow movements. "And I'm pretty sure something must have prompted it. You can't just beat her like that, you're not a mad person!" She paused to swallow hard spits.

Dad raised his palms mid air, an act signifying that his hands are clear.

"As for that Mma, I've warned my daughter, your wife to stay away from her but mba! (No!), she doesn't want to listen" Grandma complained, her once angry eyes instantly turning cold. "Biko (please) take it easy with her. Aririo ka m n'ario gi (I'm only pleading with you). Even if you are pushed to beat, jiri nwayo oo (take it easy oo), beat her a little but not like this, else you will kill her for me." She paused, looking directly into dad's eye.

Dad was feeling a lot relaxed, I guess grandma's words have given him the strength and encouragement he strongly needed. I was already boiling with rage.

"I have also cautioned her to be silent and more submissive, like a godly wife which I'm sure I've trained her to be. I've told her to concentrate more on doing her job as a wife and mother, and ignore other excesses, Inugo ogom (have you heard my in-law?). I know God will restore peace in your home" She concluded, clasping her palms together as though she was praying.

Dad nodded.

I'm certain he must be feeling very proud now; why won't he when grandma has already given him the go ahead order to maltreat my mum.

I helped pack every of our luggage, dragging them angrily on the cemented verandah as I walked out, my heart beating in vigorous rhythm to the sloppy noises they made.

As soon as I stepped out with them, dad sprang up and rushed towards me, taking them off me. His eyes were beaming with smiles but my angry face quenched them in seconds.

Dad loaded all the luggage in his car and impatiently walked back into the house. Just as he was making his way to the verandah, his eyes caught mum struggling to come out even though she was leaning on me for support. She was limping, scared to let her still swollen feet touch the ground. I guess he was shocked at the damage he'd caused as he stood affixed, staring uncontrollably at the image right before him.

Ignoring him, I assisted mum as she made her way down the brief stairs. Safely down, grandma walked up to us and whispered something in mum's ears.