Chapter Thirty Eight

Important notice: Please to all my readers who were born in June and who had earlier commented their birth dates in the previous chapters, I celebrate with you all and just like promised wants to dedicate some chapters to you. Sadly based on wattpad settings, I cannot dedicate a chapter to you if you are not following me. I'm sorry but you'll have to follow me to get a dedication. Kindly DM once you've clicked that follow button so I can do the dedication. Thank you

Now leggo.....
*****

Settling into what will serve as our temporary home, aunty Mma stared keenly at mum as she laid beside the bed, the blue bucket filled with mum's hospital items sitting beside it. A quick unintentional glance at that bucket shocked me into realization that it literary was the only thing mum, Zara and I owned. For now. Zara didn't seem to mind as she was already jumping on the bed, clapping through a phonics nursery rhyme.

The door to the convenience was open and mum's eyes hasn't left that spot since we walked in. Aunty Mma backtracked to the wall beside the bed, her back resting on it with her arms falling loosely by her side. Her eyes were rolling all over the place, finally resting on mum's worried face, obviously lost in thought.

"There's hot water in the flask and the provisions are still remaining much that would serve you for the few days you'll spend here" Aunty said, breaking off the silence in the room.

Mum nodded.

"Is there anything I can get for any of you before I leave?"

"I'll love an ice-cream!" Zara said lightheartedly and aunty smiled.

"That'll be tomorrow Zara dear, there's no place they sell it around here"

Zara shrugged. Disappointed.

"So, anything I can get? Food or something cos I don't think this.... " Aunty moves her finger in a circular motion as she struggles to find a suitable word to describe where we're currently staying. "....place sells food!" She concluded.

"Maybe they'll take tea tonight, Uh Zara?" Mum asked, turning to my sister.

Zara nodded, a quick smile playing on her lips. To her it's a great meal, by the way she loves it.

"And you Ada?" Aunty asked. Mum looked at me. And I understood.

"I'll have tea too" I faked a smile.

"That's good then, but when coming tomorrow, I'll bring some food with a large food flask. You all will need it" She was smiling now. Mum smiled too and I joined in.

"So Mma, how's your plan with our little.... "

"Oh that, I'll be here by say 9am, so we can pick up your brother along the way. He'll be coming into Portharcourt tomorrow morning and will accompany us to your husband's house..." She paused. "That's why I need to leave now as I have an extremely important arrangement to put in place" Aunty said walking over to the bed and picking her bag.

"Alright then, let me see you out to the car" Mum said standing.

"No!" Aunty snapped, her left palm outstretched and ready to push mum back quickly. "You can't leave these children alone for even a second Nneka. This place isn't good for them, I'm sure you know that." She said. "And you need to be careful too, it isn't safe walking around freely and having them take mental note that you and these children are lodged here"

"Alright" Mum muttered, sitting back on the bed.

"Tomorrow then" And with a wry smile, aunty leaves the room, shutting the door behind her.
****
I awoke to sudden whispers emanating from the window which stood two feet above our bed. Scared, I scanned through the room to find only Zara deep asleep beside me. Mum was no where in the room. Nor the convenience too.