Chapter Eight

It was very late at night when dad finally came home, that was after refusing picking mum's calls. The next morning was a rather quiet day as everyone was so scared of stepping on another's toes. Zara wasn't having that as she kept running around the house, snuggling up on everyone. At that moment, I appreciated my little sister for bringing such warmth in our home.

Mum made a pot of delicious spaghetti with scrambled eggs, which we all had. Seeing aunty that morning made me realize how badly bruised she was. Her lips were very much swollen, her arms sore, and her fair face had turned red. I wouldn't lie I wept in my heart.

My mum was also bruised with her lips were swollen and her eyes caked in blood. Her bump had gone down a bit though she was still feeling very weak. Most importantly, mum was definitely absent minded  she burnt the food earlier on, something she never does.

We were not fully done with breakfast when the door bell rang. Mum stood up to get it but dad motioned at her to sit still and then ordered me to get it. He never does this. I went and was very much surprised to see who it was. I had thought it was a threat but never knew she would carry it through.

"Good morning Mama" I said rather coldly to dad's mum who was standing at the door, her face depicting readiness for battle.

"And you are not smiling?" She complained. I faked a smile and gave her a cold hug.

"That's better Nwa m" She said. And then walked into the house.

On the mention of grandma, mum started fidgeting. Dad on the other hand sprang up from the dining, rushing to his mum for a hug. She intentionally pushed her son aside, while making her way to her daughter. Instantly, Aunty Tee started crying, while crawling into her mum's warm embrace. Mum greeted but grandma hushed her.

"Bia Emeka, did you beat your sister?" She asked, now fully facing dad.

"Mum relax first, let Nneka get you something to eat before....

"Did I ever tell you I've been dying of hunger in my house? Answer my question Emeka, did you beat your sister because of this thing you call a wife?" Grandma asked pointing to my mum. Mum quietly sat down.

"Mum for starters, I didn't hit her because of my wife. Actually I am sorry for hitting her but Tee went too far mum. You should have asked what she did first" Dad said sitting down.

"You have no right to hit your little sister no matter what!" Grandma warned. "What could she have done to warrant such beating? Oh my God! Look at her lips, her elbow, her face, her.... Jesus ooo, Emeka what did you use on her? Eh iron??" Grandma was now in tears. "And you were here Nneka, because of you, my son hit his sister for the first time in this life. You came into my family to put asunder? Nneka did I wrong you by accepting that my son should marry you?" She asked walking closer to mum. Mum stood up and went behind dad who stood in the gap between grandma and mum.

"Mum, that's my wife you are talking to like that" Dad said.

"You disappoint me today Emeka. I pleaded with you that your sister should stay with you briefly while she sorts herself out, but what did you do? You threw her under the bus just to satisfy your wife. O di mma Emeka." She cried more. "Tekilah, come take me to your room please" She said angrily.

Aunty Tee left the table and led her mum to her room. She left the door a bit ajar intentionally so just we can overhear. And just then, we could hear clearly everything she was telling grandma, about her fight with aunty Nma, the trip we went and about dad beating her. In all these, she never mentioned the efforts mum made in these occasions to save her from troubles. She didn't also mention that she have physically assaulted mum twice in my presence while mum was trying to be a good samaritan. Mum on the other hand has never laid any complaint about her actions, not even to my dad. She blatantly lied against her.