Chapter Fifty Four

*Adaoma*

As expected, dad's action and rejection of mum and my siblings had a huge impact on us all, especially mum. She became withdrawn, speaking less often to me, Zara or aunty Mma. Being around her felt like being around a time bomb ready to explode. Aunty encouraged me, always advising to give her time. I didn't know how much time she desired, and didn't even know how to give her one. I simply tried avoiding her.

With time, mum began to accept her reality and subsequently began to bake again, this time from Aunty's house and with her full support. Aunty Mma was so nice to us and encouraged mum to save every scent she made from her snacks sale. Mum concentrated on being an entrepreneur and it surprisingly was going smoothly for her.

A year later, based on Aunty's advice Mum enrolled for her Masters degree. By now her snack shop had grown quite a bit and she already had two workers, including myself. I was practically an intern as she ensured I learned the basics of professional baking. Mum now distributes her products which included cakes, pies, chin-chin and other small chops to schools, small businesses and even functions like birthday, weddings, anniversaries and thanksgivings.

Mum concluded her masters within two years and made a distinction. I was marvelled cos I never knew she was this intelligent. All my life, I've known my mum as a house wife, never a scholar nor bright student. In reality, I'd thought she never desired to further because she wasn't academically sound. I never knew all these were aspirations she killed just to build a home - a home she has sadly lost.

I've also done well for myself, making good grades in the just released WASSCE result. Mum and Aunty was proud of my achievement, with mum promising to see to my academics no matter the level and no matter what it'll cost. To say I was excited would be an understatement cos when dad left, I conditioned my mind to the fact that I wouldn't see the four walls of a university. Mums sudden promise was a huge relief.

With mum and aunty's encouragement, I wrote the Joint Admission Matriculation Board's examination that same year and excelled. My post UTME result was spectacular and without stress, I was offered admission to study optometry at the prestigious  University of Portharcourt.

Mum and Aunty were most proud of me.

My siblings? They're all grown. Zara is currently in primary four with mum nursing the plans of letting her attempt the common entrance examination, which Aunty Mma vehemently objected to. Aunty believes Zara is still too tender to jump two classes into secondary school.

The twins?

Each moment I set my eyes on them reminds me of our dad. They were his carbon copy and didn't spare any of his physical features. They will be four in few weeks and I can say that they've never seen dad all their lives, and maybe they're better off without him.

I can't say where dad has been. It's as though he just disappeared from the face of the earth. No one hears from him, and none of their mutual friends tends to reach out to mum. It will be safe to say that mum's past life have suddenly become a closed chapter of a history book, which is strictly under lock and key.

Although Mum now has her Masters degree, she's still reluctant to seek for another job as she insists being her own boss was better than being under someone again, especially a man. To her credit, Mum has a full blown catering business and a bridal house which was located just two streets away from the house. Her business was seriously experiencing a maximum customer reach, with each customer leaving the shop most satisfied. Mum made sure of that.

At a young age of  near eighteen, I have unexpectedly become an executive in her shop, as I oversee the day to day activities therein. Mum trusts no other than Aunty Mma and I when it comes to her business.  Zara was also learning the basics of the business and I'll say she is actually a very fast learner.