Chapter Sixty One

*ADAOMA*

Mum came around in the evening after work and I informed her that dad had called earlier. I could instantly sense the frustration written all over her. She will constantly mumble words as if she was running mad. I knew something was up but I didn't know just how to get her to talk. Mum is the type of woman who would prefer covering up her problems while pretending all is well.

"You've not been yourself as of late, please what's the problem?" I asked with the resignation that she wouldn't share whatsoever problems it is with me. I was totally wrong.

"Let's sit down Ada" she beckoned, trotting off towards the couch in the sitting room.

At first I was shocked, I hadn't expected such quick compliance. Then my body released my hold and I jerked to life, following her and nestling in the opposite couch. Comfortable on the chair, she adjusted her position to face me.

"I have been discussing our issue with people and ..... and I'm just losing it" she muttered

"What issue mum?"

"About your dad and I"

"What are those your friends saying?" I asked, unhappy because I've already envisioned the general perception of her friends. The general rule of making a home. I wouldn't be surprised.

"Everyone is advising I accept him back. They believe God just wanted to teach him a lesson, and that it is good he is now remorseful and repentant as it will stop him from further madness" She answered calmly.

"Do you believe that in your heart? Truthfully?" I asked. She didn't waste a second before moving her head sideways in quick succession.

"I still strongly believe he is the same old Emeka I know" Mum replied. I paused for a second before adding.

"Let me ask you something mum" She looked up at me while I picked up my phone and began typing in my noteapp. "If dad had met you downcast, haggard and poor, do you still think he will make a comeback? Or go around looking for a way to make amends? Will he still love you just like he is professing now?"

Mum was very silent for few seconds and then shook her head again. "I don't think so".

"Wasn't dad ready to remarry and even planning it before he suddenly met you? So why are these your friends making you feel like the bad guy if you choose not to take back a man that nearly killed you?"

"I don't know Ada. They make it look and sound like because I'm separated that I am lesser than them, and wouldn't be lucky to remarry if eventually I decide to" Mum lamented.

"They are very myopic and to me, you are above and greater than them all. He who fights and runs, lives to fight another day" I was getting angry. Now I understand why she has been rambling incoherent words. Stupid emotional bullies.

"Mum, you ran away from dad so that this day could happen, and even at that mum, you still need to choose your path most carefully so that you wouldn't get a repeat of your past. And I must warn politely that you shouldn't do anything because of us" I stated firmly, locking eyes with her. "Because as you can see we are far better off without him, than when we were all together. This decision should be for you and about you". I paused, staring at her to see if I could deduce any emotions. She was actually doing a good cover up. So I continued "Please do not ever consider what the society would say. Remember this same society called you a weakling for enduring all those years of battering."

Mum smiled up at me. "You know you sound very much like Mma, no wonder she adores your brilliance so much" Mum praised me. I smiled, happy that I could give her some words she found most valuable.