Chapter Four

Once she was out of sight, mum relaxed, inhaling and exhaling deep breaths coated in an infectious smile. In as much as my mum wasn't the verbal type, but I was sure she was the strongest emotional being I've ever seen.

Dad came home pretty late that night and I listened up for their usual chatty selves, but heard nothing. There was enough tension and drama at home and I was sure it was drifting them very much apart. Mum subsequently became a shadow of herself, always very quiet and counting her steps around the house. At a point I knew mum needed help but was confused as to where to get one.

The new week was something else at home. Sincerely, since I became a part of my family, I've never experience such quietness, ever. Mum became absorbed in her domestic chores so as to avoid episodic quarrels. She would cook, clean, wash and go for school run.

Dad was still his smiley self and praised mum after every meal. No doubt mum was a great cook but dad failed to read her facial expressions, and her heart beat. It was as if dad had decided to ignore mum's feelings and make them irrelevant. He always tried playing with me but I guess I wasn't up for it anytime, as I keep avoiding having a contact with him. I was gradually hating dad deeply for doing such to mum.

Towards the end of the week, mum pleaded with dad to let us spend the weekend in her village. She explained she needed few days to clear her head. Dad accepted and even drove us there himself.

While at the village, mum confided in her mum what she was going through back home, and as always I was eavesdropping. Grandma assured mum that prayer would sort out her problem. It's not as though I'm surprised, by the way grandma was very religious and believed so much in the efficacy of a powerful weapon which was prayer. To support mum the more,  she promised to raise an altar on our behalf, and advised mum to pick up a motivational Christian home movies which would help guide her on the right path so she would come out victorious.

Mum was very quiet as grandma spoke, obviously assimilating each word her mother said. From where I hid behind the door, I peeped through the tiny hole, watching my mum drool in pain. I could read her countenance in a flash, clearly understanding what she wanted; an immediate and permanent solution.

"He even asked that Mma should stop visiting." Mum voiced out after a long moment of silence.

"Yes! I agree" Grandma replied, whipping her face to face mum, who was a bit surprised.

"She has been my friend for like forever. She has been there for me, for us mum!" Mum defended

"And that is the more reason you should let go off her." Grandma reiterated, nodding like a lizard. "Everyone has a purpose they serve in our life. I believe she has served hers; it's time for her to leave."

Then there was a brief pause.

"Don't you think her presence might be causing these troubles in your home? Eh nwam? (my child?). Tell me Nneka, why must she fight your sister inlaw, even if Tee is killing you, she has no right to lift a finger on her!" Grandma reinstated, and mum unable to control her anger flared up.

Mum couldn't believe her mother! I couldn't either!

"Are you saying she has no right to stand up for me? Are you saying she ........"

"It was just a mere statement Nneka, and I am very sure you understood what I meant. Tee wouldn't be mad to kill you" Grandma interrupted. "What I'm saying is that she's adding to your pain. According to what you said, your mother inlaw, Tee and my son inlaw who is your husband are all against her visiting you, so what are we saying? Can all of them be wrong at the same time? This girl in question is not married yet; and believe me it's very easy for most unmarried people to give unsolicited advice because to them, they are viewing the scene with both eyes open. In marriage you decide to see everything with just an eye. This means that you consciously overlook some mistakes just for peace to reign Nneka, you should know this already. Women build their homes and not destroy it for the sake of friendship. In life once you are married, your home comes first before every other thing. You place your home and husband above every other aspect of your life. Please she should cease coming to your house and I believe things will improve." Grandma added firmly. Mum didn't respond.