Chapter Thirty One

Dad glanced up at her to still behold this bold and reassuring smile registered on her face.

"And what are you grinning about Ebere? What's the smile for? And above all, what's this?" Dad thundered, glancing at miss Eby and down at the strip which was still held between his fingers.

"Why I'm smiling?" She asked smirking. "I'm smiling cos that doesn't prove a thing Emeka!" She yelled.

Dad sprang up from his chair, his eyes fused into hers. "Are you a psychopath?" Dad queried with a hint of disgust.

"What's going on here?" Mum asked in confusion, stealing a glance at both my dad and his ex-mistress. "Emy what does the strip say?" She more of screamed than ask. I was confused too.

Dad stretched his hand towards mum, with the strip clearer to us both. "It's a single line honey. She isn't pregnant!" Dad announced calmly, a huge gasp of relief escaping his nostrils.

Mum's expression could be better seen than explained. I didn't need a prophet to tell me she was more than happy, relieved and overjoyed.
"Thank God" She murmured under her breath.

I was transfixed, I couldn't tell if I felt good about her not being pregnant at the moment, or worried that this might be just the beginning with her.

"I'll let you wallow in your ignorance Emy. I'm pregnant and I know it. I told you before that it's just too early to show on a strip! Some women don't even know they're pregnant till after their twelfth week, Nneka here should know better" She said still in smiles.

Dad shook his head in exasperation, and for a moment I wondered how he feels now, knowing fully well he has been sleeping with a psycho.

"How then did you know you were pregnant Ebere?" Mum asked. I was surprised mum was asking such silly questions cos it's obvious like a daylight that this was a scheme to get dad into her grip again.

Miss Eby chuckled. "I know my body and I've missed my period. My menses never misses it's date but I'm currently twelve days late." She was looking at my mum now. "He's the only man rocking this" She points downwards "For over how long?" She asked, staring crazily at my dad.

"So you don't have any medical confirmation that you're pregnant? So this whole mess was for a mere speculation? A speculation your mind created just to get a man your body so much desired?" Mum's voice was gradually growing fiercer, and I could watch her stand, her legs slowly moving towards Miss Eby.

Dad's arms immediately went around her. "Let me handle this honey" Dad pleaded, sensing what was about to happen.

"Ebere you aren't pregnant and I must confess that you had me worried at the last minute. I'm grateful this stunt is over but I'm promising you that you wouldn't try this again. Not ever!" Dad spoke with so much authority and power. "As you leave this house today, never in your miserable life step foot into it again." He paused to catch a breath. "And if Tee ever brings you around here again, then I'll cut off whatsoever that had bound us together from birth." Dad paused again as Miss Eby stared at him in disbelief. I was drowning in happiness as those words rang in my ears. Is this truly happening?

"Get inside and pick whatsoever is left of you, and leave my house. Don't even let your fragrance linger an extra minute! Now leave!" He thundered murderously, his anger shooting up the hairs on my body. I blinked hard as my body shook in fright at such venom.

Miss Eby didn't waste another minute before running into Tee's room and racing out like lightening.

Right now, this could be the last we'd hear of her.

Angrily, dad walked to the door and slammed it shut. Stepping into the sitting room, he screamed.

"Tekilah!"