Chapter Twelve

"You seem to speak from experience" Mum noted after a very pause.

"Hmmm my sister, it wasn't easy but look at me now" she replied pulling up her short sleeve which revealed a deep scar on her left shoulder.

My mouth opened in awe. Mum was astonished even more than I was.

"What happened to you?" Mum blurted curiously.

"My husband dear." She responded with what appears to be a smile. "We had an argument which escalated into something else" She paused fixing her gaze on floor. Seconds later, she lifted her eyes again, resting it on mum who was obviously dying to know the whole story.

"He beat me mercilessly just like yours did. It was a horrible experience" She was slowly shaking her head now. "And in order to escape his raging anger, I rushed towards the door for safety but he was faster and in the heat of the moment, hit my shoulder with an iron pole which serves as a support for our satellite dish"

Mum's mouth and mine parted instantly with our eyes almost bulging from their sockets.

But she laughed inaudibly, her body language depicting a message of 'it wasn't that bad!'

"But thankfully it resulted to this scar and my life was spared" She concluded, still smiling.

"Oh My Jesus!" Mum screamed. "What? Your family didn't sue him? You didn't speak up? What if you had died? How are you still living with him?" Mum threw the questions like a bomb, as though they've been begging to be asked.

The nurse laughed pretty hard.
"My dear I call this scar "my lesson scar"." She answered boldly.
"This incident actually taught me a lesson, especially after someone advised me just like I'm advising you now." She added, her index finger pointing at mum.

"Our issue was actually simple, very simple at that". She moved her legs, pushing the left forward so as to rest on the right. "He was cheating on me and as his wife and most importantly a human, I couldn't bear it; but I thank God for this spiritual mother in our church who opened my eyes to see what marriage was all about. Yes I learnt my lesson. I learnt to ignore his excesses and welcome him whenever he comes back. I learnt to keep up with his sexual appetite no matter how he wants it. I learnt to adapt to the system that I can't have him all alone to myself. I learnt to understand that it's a man's world and my husband is my glory. I learned to adore, honour, respect and appreciate him no matter what. Since I stopped disrespecting him by thwarting his orders, we now live in peace. Since I learnt to give him his way, I have known peace. Since I learnt to stop snooping around him, his office, his phone, I have known peace. In fact, I manage whatsoever he brings home and adjust with my own. If he says what I do not like, I just keep mute and avoid his quarrel" She paused abruptly, waiting for an acceptance signal from mum. Mum didn't disappoint as she nodded in understanding.

The nurse smiled.

"You see my dear, now I know what peace truly is. We now live in harmony and for the last two years, he hasn't laid a finger on me." She was beaming in victory.

Mum was wowed by all the words the nurse has said. She was keen to hear more, I could actually see through her.

"As I said earlier my dear friend, in the past my husband used to beat me every week. You can't begin to understand the level of pain I went through daily, it wasn't a nice spot to be in I must confess. I thought it was his fault and never for one day believed I contributed to his violent attitude not until I attended our women's conference that everything was taught and brought to life. Since then I began to view my husband and marriage in a new light"

There was another long pause.

" It's been two years since I adopted all that was taught in our women's conference, and the outcome has been amazing, my husband hasn't laid a finger on me." She continued smiling, letting her left index finger sway from side to side.

"So my sister, I speak from experience. Learn to endure and adjust. If he is cheating, don't mind him as long he doesn't bring them home. You are the one he got married to and not them. He saw them all yet chose you, so you should be happy. They are just his side dishes as long as he still comes home everyday to his real family which is you and your kids. Don't bother him. Welcome him with open arms and keep praying for him. One day he will change and you will have that joy you want. Just stop talking back at him, stop pushing him, be that virtuous wife the book of Proverbs spoke about okay? Remember God hates divorce". She concluded.

Mom nodded in agreement, her tears drying up gradually. There was an instant change in mum, it was as though a new spirit had possessed her and I could feel it from where I stood. Happily mum thanked her, smiling as she left.

I was confused at this point. I didn't even know what to think again. By the way, the nurse made her point with the backing of the bible, therefore she must be right.

Aunty Mma herself speaks only about saving mum and us, and yet again she is right.

In every area of this incident, I was the one most affected as I was being emotionally bullied and confused.

"I wish someone could just set me on the right path" I murmured in confusion.

Who am I to listen to?

Which way is the right way?

Aunty Mma walked into the ward hours later carrying a black nylon bag along. The appetizing aroma enveloping the medicine-scented room gave away the goodies hidden inside the nylon. My intestines were dancing in happiness as my stomach began making alluring noises.

I was hungry.

Aunty Mma carefully brought out the dishes that were packed in green take-away foils. There were two packed party jollof rice and another containing delicious egusi soup, the accompanying fufu was wrapped in a transparent nylon which was also in the nylon.

"So which do you want?" aunty asked looking at me. Mum cast her an angry glance, her countenance changing instantly.

"I'm the sick one here so i get to choose first" She said dragging the foil of egusi soup. "I can always eat some rice from your" She added smiling up at her friend. Aunty Mma laughed hard which forced a smile off me. now i understand why they're inseparable. They can't actually stay mad at each other for long.

After meals, mum waited a bit before calling on her friend's attention.

"Mma dear, please it's not as though I'm ungrateful, it's just that I need to go home. My home needs mending and that job is waiting for me."

Aunty wasn't having any of that but mum insisted. At a point when mum realized that aunty Mma wouldn't bulge, she threatened to scream that she was holding her against her will.

Doc, aunty Mma's friend later got involved when the issue couldn't be resolved between mum and her friend. In a bid to make peace, he advised aunty to let mum go if that was what she wanted since mum is an adult and can make decisions for herself. Even though it wasn't what aunty wanted, she however decided to let mum be so as not to be the enemy. By the way, it was as though she's crying more than the bereaved.

Aunty reluctantly agreed to take mum back on the condition that it'd be my maternal home, mum's village. Mum accepted and we were set to leave the next day.

*********

Hello all

A brand new chapter yayyy

So what can you say so far?

Who do you agree with? The nurse or Aunty Mma?

Another chapter is coming up tomorrow!

And yes! Stronger Than Pain is currently ranked #61 in General Fiction, can't actually believe it!!!

Thanks to you all for reading, voting and commenting....

Don't forget to recommend pleaseee