Chapter Fifty

Living with aunty Mma was a dream come true. Life had began anew for us even though I was surprisingly finding it somewhat difficult adjusting to it. The truth was, it still feels like this beautiful life would be snatched away in a second, just like our original life.

Her house was a three bedroom flat with a master bedroom which she graciously handed over to mum, while relocating to one of the visitors rooms. According to her, mum needs all the comfort the world could offer.

Aunty didn't stop at that. She showed us lots of love, attention, fun, care and most importantly, three square healthy meal plus fruits, vegetables and juice which always accompany them. Zara was always mouth filled. And happy.

Mum was happy even though she never stopped worrying about her showcase which we abandoned at her former office. She complains daily, not forgetting to reinstate the fact that it was her sweat, and at each moment, aunty will always offer to pay for it, or better still make her one, but as usual she'll cry and say no.

Aunty believes mum's hormones were going haywire, and I totally agree with her. But no one dare say it to her face.

Mum has suddenly become a teary tiger looking for who to push the tear box. She was always crying, unlike the woman I've known all my life.
***
Three months on...

Mum fell into labour in the early hours of a Wednesday morning. Aunty Mma called in sick at her office just so she could attend to mum. She informed Dr Ken who encouraged her to bring mum in immediately.

I bunked school, Zara too as we insisted on going with them to the hospital.

The pain I saw mum in was unexplainable. It was excruciating and by each passing scream of exhaustion, I saw myself tearing up on her behalf.

By mid-afternoon, they came. Mum was delivered of...

Twin boys.

Their birth was a very emotional time for us all, most especially for mum. It was unbelievable, their coming was miraculous.

Aunty Mma excitedly informed mum's siblings of the good news, right there at the hospital. After much jubilation, they suggested not to let their mum know yet. Their reason being that she could run off to tell my dad the supposed good news so as to get them back together. By the way, she still believes that maybe mum's inability to give dad a male child was the major reason he's been misbehaving. Now that mum had given birth to two, she'd believe there would be no reason why dad wouldn't accept her back.

As it stands, grandma was already going from church to church seeking for spiritual liberation from the supposed bondage rendering my dad captive.

Isn't she quite funny?

However, no matter how we tried to conceal it, the birth of my brothers soon spread like wildfire, and within two weeks, grandma got wind of the news. As expected, she was agitated and unexpectedly paid us a visit.

"I can't believe you all!" She thundered brushing past me as I held the door open for her. Four pairs of eyes turned towards her. Mum, aunty Mma, Uncle Stan and mum's younger sister. All pairs were filled with shock and surprise as no one knew how she knew about the birth or even where mum was.

The boys were in mum's bedroom sleeping while the five of us stayed at the sitting room chatting about stuffs. Zara wasn't with us, she was in aunty Mma's room sleeping too.

"Mama" They chorused, sharing quick glances.

"Are these children your husband's?" Grandma asked, ignoring the greetings and turning to face mum. Mum's face quickly contort in an angry manner, instantly shooting grandma daggers.