Chapter Fifty Six

*ZARA*

Still standing by the door, I watched mum continuously powder her face. She was slow, painstaking and indifferent. I didn't need to think hard to realise she was trying so hard to hide an emotion, something she's been too good in doing these days.

Seconds later, she slowly turned to the door, taking slow striding steps as she closes in on me. Few steps away, she locked her eyes in mine, and gave me a radiating smile.

"What's wrong?" She quickly asked, taking my hands. Gently, I turned around as she pulled me outside.

"I should be asking you mum" I replied, walking beside her but not letting my eyes tear off from hers. She continued on the passageway, still pulling me along.

"Who called?" She asked, changing the subject.

"An unknown caller. Rang thrice". I replied, and she nodded.

"You won't talk right?" I asked her, still not giving up.

"Don't be like Adaoma. Don't worry much" She answered subtly, squeezing my palms.

"No matter how hard you try mum, you don't look good. Your face, your countenance says it all" I added, disappointed.

"Even though I took extra time to powder my face and apply a smile?"

I didn't realise when I burst into laughter. Mum was too good in making me feel great, and I was always a weakling when it comes to her antics. I know Ada won't fall for this scam but I'm that soul that is pretty easy to laugh out.

Mum laughed too, with her palms holding mine more tightly. I swear, at this instant I could literally feel her warm energy slide into me, through our hands that laced together. It was as though she was making me stronger than she was.

Walking into the sitting room, she freed my hand and quickly walked over to the diner where her phone was still laid. Picking it up, I watched her fingers touch and slide through the phone screen.

"I don't know who this is but why didn't you pick it up?" She asked nonchalantly.

"Didn't get to it on time. Sorry" I replied already seated on the single couch.

Mum strode towards me, and inattentively lowered herself on the hand rest. Then, I heard the call tone begin to beep.

"Hello" A feminine voice came in.

"Good day, sorry I missed your calls earlier. Who am I on to please?"

"Oh it's Genny. I got your contact from your shop. Your girls gave me your business card. Please I need an urgent service, like right now. Can that be possible?" The voice asked.

"Actually, that will depend largely on the type of service you want rendered"

"A cake. A five step cake. I need it ready tonight. My original plans crashed. I need a saviour"

"Time?"

"8pm"

"I have like six hours?" Mum asked, her eyes seeking refuge in the gold wall clock hanging right above the television. She was wide eyed.

"I guess so.  Can you deliver?"

"Any special designs cos it will be a great determinant?"

"Nothing too special since it is an urgent service. Let it just be appreciable"

"That will cost you a hell lot of money"

"That wouldn't be a problem"
*****

"Are you sure you can do this Mum? It's unreasonable! How can someone expect you to deliver a five step cake within six hours? Even if it's just a bare cake!" I asked as mum hurries into the passage. Within seconds, she was out again with her purse hidden under her armpit.