Chapter Twenty Four

Dad carefully put mum down once he got to his car. He opened the door opposite the driver's side and helped mum slide in. Zara and I stepped into the back, a wave of satisfaction enveloping me. Zara jumped up happily,  and without waiting to be asked, began ransacking dad's car in her quest for a toy. I give it to her, she never rests.

I looked out the window and saw Mr Daniel walking aunty to her car. He was few steps behind her and I wouldn't stop thinking he was checking her out. My silly thoughts I believe.

Mum relaxed on the seat, throwing her head on the head rest and forcing her weave to fall freely to her side. Zara didn't waste any second as she forego what she was playing with and began fumbling with the stray hairs. I smiled as the engine roared to life, and in a flash we were on our way to the new house.
****

Immediately we drove in, we were greeted with another shocking surprise, mum’s family. As far as I was concerned, no one invited them.  Mum didn't since she knew her husband will be livid, and dad on his own didn't see any need for them to tag along.

Dad's face tightened on sighting them and I could see his veins popping up as he grips the stirring with all his might.  No matter how much he tried, I could see through him. He was fighting the urge to shout at mum, to create another scene.

Mum wasn't relaxed anymore. Her head was off the head rest as she adjusts her position intermittently, glaring through the side window at her family who'd turn up, many in number. Her mum, elder brother Stanley, younger sister Tobechukwu and a cousin Fred. Others were relations who live around Portharcourt, but who she'd made a duty to lose contacts with.

Mum’s elder brother was the first to spot us. “Nneka!” He screamed running to hold mum as she stepped out from the car. From his look, one could tell he was absolutely confused.

He fixed his gaze on his sister, with his hands running through her face, legs and arms. “What is it Nneka? What happened? Were you involved in an accident? What is going on?” He kept pouring in the question, not giving room for answers. I was standing beside them now while dad without as much as a greeting, has hurled himself out from there, making his way to the ceremony.

Aunty Mma pulled to a stop and ignoring the situation arising, went to mix up. Mr Daniel was quick to spot dad and made his way towards him.

Within seconds, news got to the other members of the family that mum has arrived and like bees, they all trooped in, each adoring a very disappointing look.

“Give us an answer!” Mum's brother commanded.

Mum smiled. "It was an accident" She lied. I froze.

Did she just lie to her siblings? For who? Dad?

Right then, the priest arrived for the house blessing and every action was suspended instantly. Mum knew she had to come up with something better since she understood how crazy her siblings could be.

Mum, dad, his family members and some selected well wishers joined in the blessing procession as the priest went from one room to the other, making prayers and sprinkling the Holy water. Once through with the house, the final prayers were done outside and the priest left.

And everything began, anew.

I managed to plead with everyone to at least allow me cut my birthday cake, as I can't miss my birthday all cos of some adults that have refused to behave properly.

Mum and aunty Mma were solidly behind me and I knew mum was even grateful, since that served as an excuse to stay away from her siblings. Sadly, it didn’t last long cos as soon as I was done, they were there again, hurling their sister away.