CHAPTER FIVE

"What do you mean?, I'm getting what?." I asked surprised. Today had gone smoothly like any other Saturday that was until my dad dropped the bomb.

The bright sunlight shined through the window as the birds chirped happily. I stretched myself out of bed yawning I checked the time and it was 10am.

"Oh my God I woke up late why didn't anyone wake me up." I rushed to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. Thank god mom woke me up for fajr at least.

I took my bath and wore a blue maxi gown I tied my hair in a messy bun and wrapped a scarf around before heading down.

As I went down I met my dad and Uncle Muneer seated at the couch talking.

I sighed going over to him its been long overdue. I stood before him. "As salam alaykum father(peace be upon you)." I greeted to which he responded glancing at me.

"Wa alaykum salam Umairah, I see my messaged got to you in good time." He uttered to which I nodded but quickly answered him as he doesn't like that.

"Yes father."

"As salam alaykum Uncle Muneer." I said to the older version of my dad whom just nodded his head.

"I'll leave now." I said to which he just nodded without saying anything.

Typical.

I met mom arranging the breakfast on the dinning and helped her out as we were done everyone started filling their sits.

I sat down beside Amal and Sarah, I picked a plate and served myself some some chicken noodles with sausages.

I started eating before dad broke the silence.

"Umairah you are aware that I called you over here for something important, right?" He asked.

I looked up to him.

"Yes." I replied taking a bite of my sausage.

"Well the reason is that you will be getting married very soon." He said his face as stoic as ever.

I started choking and coughing.

Amal passed me a cup of water which I gulped down before averting my gaze to him.

Did I hear wrong?.

"What do you mean?, I'm getting what?." I asked utterly and totally shocked.

"You heard me right Umairah you are getting married to one of my Friend's son." He uttered so casually as if what he said wasn't serious at all.

"What?. Is this some kind of a joke. Cause its not funny." I uttered, eating my food.

He's clearly gone crazy.

"Do I look like I'm joking Umairah?." He said banging the table making everyone gasp.

He's right he hardly ever jokes so it must be true. but why?.

"I don't understand why me? I mean Amal isn't married yet and she's older and more mature." I tried making a point but he wasn't having any of it.

"That's because you were betrothed to him when you were a child and there's no going back." From the corner of my eye I saw Aunt Raheena smirking.

Evil witch.

If this was in another situation I would have laughed out loud but its not.

"B...be...betrothed?." I stuttered

"But who does that its the 21st century we are no longer In the 9 or 8th century where this is okay. For God sake father its my own life my own decision." I said feeling my anger beginning to rise.