CHAPTER NINE

Umairah

"So what are you going to do now?." Aliyah asked me.

"I don't know and even if I tell father there's no way he'll let me go." I said sulking.

Ashra gave me my results and I passed and this week Sunday is my graduation and there's no way I'm missing it.

"Why not try telling him and see what he says." Ashra advised.

"Ok I'll try but I'm telling you if he doesn't agree I will result to plan b."

"Ok go now and ask him." Aliyah ushered me out of the door.

"Ok ok I'm going." They both gave me a thumbs up as I walked to the study room I knocked on the door but no answer I knocked again.

"Come in." He said his voice sounding gruff and tired.

I opened the door and walked in as I played with my fingers nervously.

"Yes Umairah what do you need?." He asked not looking at me.

"Well...uhhm..You see...uhhm." I stuttered. Why so nervous its not like he'll eat you.

"What's wrong Umairah go straight to the point you are wasting my time." He said impatiently.

"Well father my graduation is coming up and...and I want to go so will you let me?." I asked hopefully.

He was silent as if in deep thoughts. I pray he agrees.

He cleared his throat. "You may but when is it?."

I beamed. "Its this Sunday father and I'll book a flight from today so that I can leave to--" I started rambling before he cuts me off.

"Wait hold on this Sunday?." He asked looking at me.

"Yes this Sunday."

"Well then Umairah you can't go." As he said those words something shattered in me.

My hope.

"What, But why?."

He turned to look at me. "Because Umairah on that Sunday you will be getting engaged."

"But father can't it be postponed if I don't go I won't be able to graduate." I pleaded.

"I don't care about that Umairah now leave me so I can get back to work." He said sternly as his gaze shifted back to his laptop.

"But--"

"I said leave." He yelled making me flinch I left running to my room as my tears threatened to fall. I reached my room and it was empty.

Thank God.

I just want to be alone. I laid on my bed and cried my eyes out. I knew it I knew he wouldn't agree I wonder why I had my hopes up.

"Umairah?." Aliyah and Ashra both called sitting on my bed. I wiped my eyes and sat up not looking at them.

"Umairah he didn't agree right?." Aliyah asked placing her hands on my shoulder.

I nodded. "But is plan b still there?." Ashra asked mischievousness obvious in her voice. 

"Was it ever gone?."

*****

"Umairah?." Mom called entering my room.

"Yes mom." I answered.

"Come tell me which one do you like?." She asked placing a box of rings on my bed, a box of male rings on my bed to be precise

"What are you doing with male rings?." I asked her still scrolling through my Instagram feed.