01.4 - Lin Heng

Three months quickly passed in a blink of an eye. Zhao Meixiang often visited the Lin estate, carefully nurturing friendship toward the Lin Family. Each time she appeared, she was welcomed warmly by everyone. Her calm, graceful personality easily won the love of the Lin elders. Her rarely given sweet dimple smiles enhanced her allure, making everyone in the Lin Family to do everything they could to receive her smile. Despite her lack of talent in music or arts, no one cared or mind. Instead, they found Meixiang adorable as she attempts to paint a bird but end up with a duck. When she tried to play the Guzheng, everyone flinched to the horrid sound. But no one could find it in their heart to criticize seeing how the young beautiful girl was doing her best to play.

"Ah" Meixiang had been so focused on plucking each string until one suddenly snapped.

"Meixiang!" Everyone panicked at the sight of fresh blood on white delicate finger.

Lin Heng had been standing nearby watching the young girl play the Guzheng for his grandmother and mother. At first, he had a small amused smile on his face seeing how poorly she played yet still so lovable because she was trying so hard. No matter how unskilled he learned Zhao Meixiang was, Lin Heng couldn't help but still find her adorable. Because the little girl was putting all her effort in everything she does, people found her more endearing.

"Meixiang!"

As soon as the string snapped and cut Meixiang little finger, Lin Heng rushed to her side and took hold of her hand. He had been worried but Meixiang resisted and pulled back her hand from his grip. This caused Lin Heng to frown. The two had been good and close the first two months of their meeting. Then suddenly, Meixiang pulled away from him. The last month, the little girl had been avoiding him despite her normal visits to the Lin estate.

"You're hurt" Lin Heng took hold of her hand again. "Let me help you bandage it"

"I'm fine... Lin-gongzi, please let go" Meixiang again pulled away and took her own silk handkerchief to wrapped around her fingers.

Lin Heng stood silently as he watched Meixiang stood – her eyes obviously avoid meeting his.

"Meixiang is embarrassed... to show Lin-nainai and aunty such poor skill" Meixiang hid her blushing cheeks by lowering her head.

"Nonsense, you did well child" Lin Heng's grandmother smiled warmly. "You did well. It's the Guzheng fault for ruining the mood. Someone, take the worthless instrument out and burn it"

The white Guzheng Meixiang just played with was a priceless one of a kind instrument made with rare white horse hair and white oak wood. Even if the string was difficult to replace, the instrument was still worth more than the average Guzheng. The servants and maids all wanted to cry. If they were able to sell it instead, it was enough to feed them for life.

"Why are you still standing there doing nothing" Lin Heng glanced over at the servants. "Take it and burn it"

And so the rare Guzheng was burned to dust.

"Lin-nainai..." Meixiang appeared embarrassed. "The Guzheng was innocent... why destroy it?"

"Your hand is injured" Lin Heng again took hold of her hand, reminding her that the Guzheng string was the cause of it.

"Only because Meixiang skill is poor..." Meixiang, again tried to pull away but Lin Heng held on tighter. "Meixiang should head back_"

"Grandmother, mother" Lin Heng ignored Meixiang attempt to escape. "I would like a moment alone with Lady Zhao"