06.2 - Rivera Lukas

"Kiai!"

In the center of the large dojo, two figures in white karategi and black belts. The male figure mercilessly punched the female figure in her stomach, knocking her flat down on her back. The young woman sat up, appearing to be focusing her vision, but her opponent did not allow her a moment to recover by doing an axe kick. The woman quickly dodged; however, she still sustained a strike on the right cheek and fell hard to her side.

"Give up yet?" The young man with the black belt mocked, clearly toying with his opponent.

Dozens of spectators stood around the edge of dojo to watch the match. Some pitied the clear results of the match, but many others were amused and entertained. The young woman looked pitiful with her long wavy hair and bangs scattered a-mess, hiding her face and expression.

"Pathetic" The man continued to mock the woman still on the dojo matted floors.

Just before he turned to leave, the young woman's laughter stopped him at his track. Everyone's hearts jumped at the sound of the cold yet alluring laugh. Maxie Luther stood while retying her hair back into a neat ponytail – revealing the strawberry mark that covered her face. From the right side of her forehead down to her cheek, the pink birthmark was completely exposed for everyone to see. The previous Maxie Luther had grown her hair long and kept her bangs down to hide her birthmark, obviously self-conscious about how others look at her. But the soul that took over Maxie Luther did not care in the least what anyone thinks of her.

Facing on her opponent, Maxie posed a ready stance. The man strutted toward Maxie, thinking that she was bluffing. It was mistake on his end for doing another axe kick. Maxie smirked while countering with a rapid groin kick. Before man could let out a painful groan, Maxie followed up with downward roundhouse kick. Everything happened in the matter of seconds. Only a few people actually saw the amazing scene. Those who missed it –turned to see the man with the black belt on the mat floor in a fetal position. Bewildered, everyone turned to Maxie. Their eyes widen at the sight of her wicked smile with a set of deep dimples. It had been the first time in twenty years of Maxie Luther's life that she had smiled.

The dojo went completely still and silent while Maxie walked over to the fallen opponent. Standing above the man, Maxie's sharp eyes looked down at him – saying without words how pathetic he was. Angered, the man reached to grab her feet but Maxie reaction was quicker than him, so stepped on his hand before it touched her.

"Tsk-tsk" Maxie then stepped on his hand hard, causing a sharp crack to be heard throughout the dojo.

The man cried out in pain, while the crowd was stunned by the woman's ruthless yet decisive act. Even though there had been other students in karategi uniform nearby, no one dared to say a word of protest against Maxie when her cold eyes flashed over to them. After all, when the man had fought Maxie Luther ruthlessly, no one had spoken out for her. How hypocritical if they spoke for the male fighter who boasted to be stronger?

"How does it feel to be beaten by a girl?" Maxie glanced back down at the crying man who was now hugging his broken hand. "Oh stop crying like a baby"

Then with a light laugh, Maxie made her way to the side bench where a towel and bottle of water were waiting for her. Knowing very well that several key characters of the story were watching her, Maxie sat down on the bench and took her time wiping the sweat from her face.

"Are you okay?"

Right on cue, a familiar voice spoke out in concern. Hiding a sneer within the white towel, Maxie looked up with a blank expression. Standing right in front of her was a good looking young man - the same man who she knows was scheming to win her heart.

"Who are you?"

The previous Maxie Luther may have a crush on the good looking man, but the current Maxie felt nothing but disgust. Not bothering to hide her repulsion, the younger man was startled. Even though he and Maxie Luther never converse or officially greeted - they knew who each other were. The good looking man also knew from the secret long glances that Maxie Luther gave him was that of interest. He had waited for the perfect opportunity to get to her. He had hoped that the black belt match would go wrong so he could step in and help comfort Maxie Luther. He had wanted to use that moment to capture her. Unlucky for him, the soul currently within Maxie Luther was a difficult one to catch.

"W_ We're in the same department"

"Hmph" Maxie Luther stood, not giving the younger man another moment of her time.

"Wait, Maxie I'm_"

"I don't care who you are" Maxie eyes were cold and dark - letting people see no emotion inside her. "And it's senior classmate to you"

The young man was again startled. He had not expected to be rebuff so callously. In that moment, his eyes flickered to the side as if seeking for help. Maxie followed his gazed to the sideline.

"What's this?" Maxie caught several familiar faces and mocked a surprised expression. "What are little kids doing here?"

Everyone had long taken notice of the Jager's Clan third generations. Ruby Jager, Dustin Jager, Sage Jager and Jake Jager all stood out - every one of them young and beautiful. But Ruby Jager was the only one who should be there at the university campus since she was a freshman. The rest of the boys were supposed to be in a private high school several miles from campus.

"Sorry Maxie" Ruby Jager said with a warm smile. "I brought the boys here since they wanted to see the campus..."

While Maxie Luther showed a surprised expression, she knew what game the younger girl was playing. The whole fiasco of Maxie Luther having a match with the black belt student was all coordinated by Ruby Jager and her devoted group of fans. The match was supposed to mark the beginning of Maxie Luther's downfall - ruining her self-esteem completely in front of her younger cousins. It was also then that the good looking student swooped in to "save" her from humiliation - thus winning Maxie Luther's gullible heart. The well thought out plan, of course, was seen clearly by the current Maxie.

"Please don't be upset..." Ruby Jager continued gently.

Everyone else there could be fooled by the girl's soft beauty and gentle temperament, but Maxie gave a knowing smile. The white lotus flower act? The soul within Maxie had invented that act.

"Only your first week as a freshman here and already you're recruiting potential students for the university" Maxie said casually. "You should join the student council, seeing how dedicated you are"

Maxie's tone was relaxed and calm - as if she was stating something common - but for those with any intelligence could hear the hidden mocking behind her words. Ruby Jager naturally understood but continued to smile gently.

"Ugly bitch"

Dustin Jager didn't fully understand Maxie's words toward his sister but he felt something was off. He especially didn't like Maxie's condescending eyes as she looked at them. Being young and impulsive, the boy spoke out without controlling his emotion. It was a known in the high society how the first and second wives of Cain Jager were enemies. As expected, the wives' children inherit their mother's hatred. No one was surprised that the children would be in battle as well. Everyone watched the scene with anticipation.

"I would be careful what I say in public little Dustin" Maxie smiles were frighteningly soft and gentle - very much like Ruby Jager but much more experienced. "If it comes back to uncle, he'll be the one to smack you across that pretty face of yours"

Dustin Jager staggered back weakly because of the intense aura that surrounded Maxie Luther. Ruby Jager had to catch her little brother before he fall back.

"Now..." Maxie glanced at Ruby Jager with an indifferent smile and spoke as if she was speaking to little children. "Take the kids back where they belong little Ruby. Making trouble here is a big no-no"

Not caring to deal with the little characters of the story, Maxie turned to make her way toward the exit. Before she exited, she did not miss Blaze Jager along with his little group of friends. Lukas Rivera standing among them was also looking at her. With an empty, indifferent expression, Maxie left without bothering to acknowledge the protagonist or the second male lead.