01.14 - Lin Heng

Meixiang had thought that Liu Jiaying wouldn't try to provoke her again. But she underestimated the female lead's competitive nature. As the female lead, everyone attention are always on her. She was the main character of the story after all.But Meixiang's poem not only stolen Liu Jiaying's thunder, it caused the female lead to lose face. Naturally, Liu Jiaying was careful not to show any displeasure on her face. Instead, she waited for another opportunity to shine.

That opportunity came toward the end of the banquet where everyone presents their gifts to the Empress Dowager, thanking her for inviting them to the Spring Banquet. Liu Jiaying, represented her father the Duke, stepped forward with a painting. Upon opening, every gasped at the stunning sight of vibrant flowers of all kind. Liu Jiaying's name was engraved as the painter which surprised no one. She was after all a very talented woman in arts and music. Once again, the Emperor and Empress complimented with her. This time, the Emperor gifted the young woman a set of brushes with wood handles carved into shapes of phoenix - the symbol only princess can have. Everyone congratulated the young woman and the Duke for having such a talented daughter.

When it was Viscount Zhao's turn, he personally brought forward a small scroll in his hands. Everyone assumed it was another painting so pity the man for not being quick witted to prepare another gift. After Liu Jiaying's painting, everyone did not dare to present another painting knowing well everything else will pale in comparison. But when the scroll was opened, only a set of beautifully written words appeared.

Flowers give hearts immense joy.

There was no name, no author for the simple yet powerful verse.

"Did you write this?" The Empress Dowager broke the silence with her sudden question.

"To answer the Empress Dowager, this official indeed wrote this" The Viscount cupped his fist and lowered his head toward the Empress Dowager.

"Why not sign it?" The Empress Dowager asked again.

"To answer the Empress Dowager, this official only wrote the words. The verse is not created originally by this official; therefore, this official does not want to take credit"

"Oh?" The Empress Dowager gave a light smile. "Then who does this verse belong to and why did this person not sign it?"

The Viscount was genuinely troubled.

"To answer the Empress Dowager... the verse belonged to this official little daughter, Zhao Meixiang..." Everyone's eyes widened at the Viscount's confession. "As to why she did not sign, this official is a little embarrassed to say..."

But the Empress Dowager's silence and firm eyes let the Viscount know he had no choice but to answer her completely.

"This official daughter has poor handwriting" The Viscount sighed softly. "And was a bit timid so asked this official to write the verse for her"

Everyone laughed, but their laughter held no malice. Instead, everyone only imagined a cute daughter asking her father to write for her because she was afraid of her calligraphy skill. Realistically, not many young women from noble families are brave enough to write or draw since men are dominant in that type of talent. Liu Jiaying, as the female lead character of the story, naturally is the exception to the rule - the rare type of women.So no one could blame Zhao Meixiang, instead, admired her humbleness even more.

"Zhao Meixiang, step forward..." The Empress Dowager sudden command startled everyone.

Everyone turned to the tent in the back which held the petite figure, slightly blocked by the tent's structure and sheer curtains. From the beginning, no one really had a good view of Zhao Meixiang. For an unmarried woman, even those currently present, are required to sit in the back of the tent and away from view. Only when they step out to perform that everyone would see their appearance. So far, Zhao Meixiang was one of the few who has not made her complete appearance. But with the Empress Dowager direct order, Meixiang slowly stood and stepped out causing the entire banquet to gasp before silence spread.

It was extremely tactic on Meixiang part to appear at the very end of the banquet. Dressed in white and pink layered dress with her long silk hair held up partial in a simple loose bun with a flower pin, Zhao Meixiang was the personification of a beautiful plum blossom. Walking gracefully like a daughter from a noble family, she soon reached before the royal family and properly went to her knees to greet the Emperor, Empress, and Empress Dowager. Afterward, she carefully stood behind her father, fully understanding her position.Everyone had been too entranced to utter a sound

"Zhao Meixiang, if you have created this verse" The Empress Dowager voice became surprisingly warm and kind. "Then sign it for me"

Before anyone could object, the Empress Dowager personal eunuch stepped out from behind her head and prepared the ink and brush. While two eunuchs held the scroll at each end, two more stood aside with a tray of ink and brush. Seeing that she had no other choice, Meixiang bowed to the Empress Dowager before going to the scroll. Everyone watched intently as the beauty quietly took the brush and after a few stroke, placed the brush back. Again, she took her place behind her father, keeping proper silence while everyone saw the cute symbol in a shape of a flower and the simple character Zhao. Meixiang had intentionally written only her family name to keep her modest image before everyone.

"Very good" The Empress Dowager, again, complimented for the second time. "I like this gift"

While it was rare for the Empress Dowager to compliment anyone, it was even rarer for her to directly say she like something. With the Empress Dowager's words, Zhao Meixiang's status immediately rose even without any official title.

"Zhao Meixiang is happy that the Empress Dowager did not laugh at her insignificant gift..."Meixiang went to her knees to bow once more.

"Um" The Empress Dowager looked at Meixiang's graceful bow and then asked. "How old are you this year?"

"To answer the Empress Dowager, Meixiang is 18..." Meixiang answered quietly, keeping her head low.

"18..." The Empress Dowager then turned to the Empress. "An appropriate age for marriage... The seventh Prince has yet to take an official consort"

Everyone swallowed their gasped. A prince's consort?Although the seventh prince was 17 years old and not favored in line toward the throne, he was the Empress Dowager most favorite grandson. The seventh prince, like the Empress Dowager, was a low-key person who is a devoted Buddhist follower. For the Empress Dowager to propose an engagement to her favorite grandson toward Meixiang,evidently confirmed her liking toward a young woman she just met.

"Em_ Empress Dowager" The Empress smile lightly. "Viscount Zhao's daughter has already been promise to Prime Minister Lin's son, Lin Heng"

The Empress just gave her approval to the wedding date weeks ago.

"Is that so..." The Empress Dowager's expression and tone was unreadable. "Pity..."

Pity? Everyone choked on their own breath. Did the Empress Dowager thought the great Prime Minister son unsuitable for a second rank Viscount daughter? Everyone eyes shot to Zhao Meixiang who was still on her knees, bowing low. Then, the Empress Dowager reached inside her own golden sleeve and directly from her wrist, she took the red bead jade. Everyone, including the Emperor and Empress, was speechless when the Empress Dowager told her personal eunuch to give it to Zhao Meixiang.

"Zhao Meixiang thanks the Empress Dowager for her grace" Meixiang helplessly received the gift, still not lifting her head.

"Um" The Empress Dowager then waved her hand like thanking her was a trivial matter. "You may go back"

The Viscount also give his thank before he helped his daughter up. Walking behind her father, Meixiang was cautious to keep her focus at the Viscount back. While her expression was calm and innocent, inside, she was laughing up a storm. Why? Because she knew exactly that everyone was watching her. Whether there are looks of envy, admiration, or jealousy, Meixiang only cared that Lin Heng will only want her more after such a performance.