01.13 - Lin Heng

Days continued uneventfully for Meixiang as the girl would either be at the Zhao or Lin estate. After the Prime Minister brought forward the wedding invitation to the Empress for approval, everyone in the country soon learn of the wedding date. By the end of the year, Zhao Meixiang will marry Lin Heng as his official wife. While Lin Heng's reputation as a intelligent young scholar and strategists is far and wide, Zhao Meixiang was relatively unknown. Other than being the Viscount's lovely daughter, not much else is known about her. Because the second male lead, is after all, a good catch, he has several young maiden admirers; thus, those very admirers wanted to know who the lucky girl was to catch someone like Lin Heng. On the other side, Lin Heng's friends and acquaintances were also curious to know who his fiancé was - since Lin Heng never disclose any information about Meixiang. Just like that, Zhao Meixiang became the talk of the country with everyone wanting to know what she was like.

The Royal Spring Banquet was the best opportunity for everyone to see who the mysterious Zhao Meixiang. Normally only daughters and sons of first and second rank Duke or Marquise can attend royal banquets, so as a daughter of a 2nd rank Viscount, Meixiang never had the opportunity to attend such banquets. But the Royal Spring Banquet was rarely thrown by the reclusive Empress Dowager who hadn't hosted any events in the last 10 years, so had extended the invitation to all young maiden of the 1st or 2nd rank official of any position. The invitation had many young maiden very happy and excited as it was the best opportunity for them to create a good image before the royal family.

Zhao Meixiang, on the other hand, was not as excited as many others was. For an engaged young woman, there was really no gain on her end to attend such banquet. If anything, it's stressful. To maintain proper representation for her father on one end and to uphold her image toward her future husband family on the other end. At these type of banquets, young maiden are often use as a source of entertainment. Dancing, music, poetry, or painting, everything is through the young women who put themselves out there to be seen as potential brides for sons of nobility or aristocratic families. Meixiang understood the intention and only sneer inside at the idea of being used as entertainment.

"Good daughter, do not be nervous and try to enjoy yourself"

The Banquet was hosted in the largest garden in the Imperial City. In the center of the banquet hall was the largest tent made with pure gold. As expected, the Emperor, Empress, Empress Dowager, princes, and princess all sat within the open tent. Then to each side of the golden tent held two rows of ten silver tents for each officials and their family. With the Viscount rank and position, Meixiang and her father sat on the Right row, eight position from the top - practically at the end of the row. From the Viscount's tent, Meixiang could barely see the royal family or Lin Heng who sat in the Prime Minister's tent at the top of the Left row. Even the female lead seat was better than hers with the first rank Duke being next to the Prime Minister. Instead of nervous, Meixiang felt bored out of her mind. The entertainment had been closer up front so her view was always of people's back. But not wanting to cause her father's concern, Meixiang gave a light smile and kept her boredom hidden. Seeing his daughter's usual graceful behavior, the Viscount was pleased and continued to watch the event.

It didn't take long before the female lead made her grand appearance. As the fourth prince's future consort and was well liked by the Emperor and Empress, the young woman was soon called forward to give her performance. Everyone already knew of Liu Jiaying's talents so watched with admiration as she played the Guzheng. And being the story's female lead, it was expected that everyone was entrance by her music and beauty. Listening quietly, Meixiang smiles were unreadable. When Liu Jiaying finished, everyone applaud loudly. The Empress was a known music lover so was very happy with Liu Jiaying's performance. No one was surprised with the Empress gifted a rare Guzheng to the young woman.

"Jiaying has long heard Viscount Zhao's daughter, Lady Meixiang's talents. If Lady Meixiang does not mind, Jiaying wish to play a duet with her"

All of a sudden, Meixiang was called forward by the female lead. Startled, Meixiang hadn't expected to be called out. On top of that, the female lead actually is taunting a small character like herself? Sneering inside, Meixiang could take a guess it was due to Lin Heng. It seems the female lead does not like her so-call good friend being stolen by another woman. Meixiang wondered how the fourth prince was feeling? Did he care that his woman was taunting his best friend's fiancé? Or was he foolish not to see the female lead's aim?

While everyone attention suddenly turned to Viscount Zhao and his daughter, Meixiang could see how her father's face went slightly cold. With a soft smile, she understood the Viscount was unhappy on her behalf. Even if the man was seen as cunning fox in court, at home, the man was a good, kind father. So for her to behave as a good daughter was only normal. Standing up quietly, Meixiang did not make any move to leave the tent. Instead, she bow properly toward the royal tent.

"Zhao Meixiang is untalented. How can this small status Meixiang think to perform a duet with Lady Liu? If Meixiang caused others to laugh, and thus, harm Lady Liu's reputation, how can Meixiang live with herself?" Meixiang's voice was clear and sweet like always. "Instead, please allow Meixiang to impart with a poem which was inspired by Lady Liu's beautiful performance"

Everyone was amazed by Zhao Meixiang's response to Liu Jiaying's request. Admitted to having no talent is one thing, but Meixiang boosted Liu Jiaying's talent as if it was untouchable showed her humility. With a response like that, Liu Jiaying was unable to refute.

"Oh, then let's hear your poem" The Emperor, on the other hand, was intrigued by the lovely voice.

"Meixiang obeys his royal majesty and hopes that Lady Liu would laugh at her poor poem"

Giving another proper bow, Meixiang lifted her head and begin to recite.

My Soul, there is a world

Far beyond the heavens

All the dexterous in the wars

Where swords and arrows cease

Sweet Peace lay, sleeping with smiles

And the Crown born with wings

Commanding Peace and Joy

Our Souls, there is a country

Here in this world

Flower blooming, Spring everywhere

Sweet Peace sits, forever smiling

And the Crown spread wings

Give Peace and Joy

Meixiang's poem was met with silence. Liu Jiaying's music was a well known piece written by the previous Emperor to his Empress - who now the Empress Dowager herself. Everyone had thought the music expressed love and affection, yet Meixiang's poem was that of peace. Moreover, no one had ever heard such a heart-moving poem which meant the young woman had created herself. Hearing it made anyone feel thankful to be living in a time of peace. Meixiang had indirectly implied her thankful toward the Royal Family for providing peace to the Country. It had been much more powerful than Liu Jiaying who had played originally to please the Empress Dowager.

"Very good" The Empress Dowager's soft but fervent voice carried through the banquet.

The Empress Dowager who had not spoken since the beginning of the banquet had only said two words. But the two words was more rewarding than any young maiden had wished to receive.

"Yes" The Emperor agreed and clapped with a smile. "A very good poem"

Everyone immediately applaud after the Emperor. Meixiang bowed graciously before she sat back down behind her father and away from anyone's clear view. The Viscount with a proud smile, even sat up straighter.