01.5 - Lin Heng

Days later, the Zhao's servants were bustling about in front of the small entrance gates of the Viscount's Capital City home. Meixiang was sitting inside the two seats carriage, leaning against the edge of the window. Because of the curtains, no one could see the little girl's boredom. The soul that resides in Zhao Meixiang is from a different world and time. Whenever she was bored, she would surf the internet or watch television. If she was really, really bored, she would drive out to the city and do some shopping. If she was really, really, really bored,she would open up a book to read. The world she was in now lacks technology and automobile cars, so she was only left with books to read. But she wasn't really that bored so her only option left was to sleep.

Just when she was about to fall asleep, a light knock on the carriage door woke her. A maid announced that Lin Heng was there and wished to speak to her. Meixiang smirked as if she expected the visit. Fixing her expression, she carefully opened the door to see the handsome older boy standing in the distant with his personal servant standing behind him.

"Lin-gongzi, why_"

"Meixiang, you've forgotten our agreement"

Meixiang didn't forget. She purposely called him out formally instead of his name. Before she left the other day, the young man had practically begged her not to speak of ending the engagement. Not only that, he insisted that she call him by his given name. Only when she did that he let her go.

"Hen_ Heng-ge" Meixiang blushed softly while looking down at her shoes.

With all the giggling and chuckles, Meixiang shyly lifted her head to see the maids, servants, and her father all laughing softly.

"Meixiang" Lin Heng called her out with a smile, stopping the little girl from escaping back into the carriage. "I brought you a gift"

Hearing that there was gifts involved, Meixiang glanced up at the taller boy.

"Xiao Bi" Lin Heng lifted his hand and the servant boy behind him immediately stepped forward to place a small white dove in his hand.

Lin Heng went to Meixiang and placed the small dove in her hands carefully. Looking down at the little girl lovely face, Lin Heng smiled while keeping hold of her hands.

"What a cute little bird..." Meixiang found the little dove very cute so couldn't help but smile at it.

"It's a messenger dove." Lin Heng explained gently while he watched Meixiang fascination toward the small bird in her palms.

"Messenger dove? But it's so small..."

"It's young but smart. Once you're home, let it roam around your estate. When it marked its favorite spot, have someone built a small home for it. Afterward, you can use it to send messages"

Meixiang continued to smile at the bird, unaware that the older boy was still looking at her.

"Meixiang... Do you like it?"

Meixiang nodded quietly.

"Then... will you write to me often?"

Good gifts never come free. Meixiang suppressed the urge to laugh, but in other eyes, the little girl appeared shy.

"Meixiang doesn't know what to write" The little girl spoke coyly.

The previous Meixiang would have died from happiness to receive such attention from Lin Heng. But the current Meixiang was too cautious – too guarded to trust any man's words, no matter how young or naïve he appeared. She will accept his gift but it doesn't mean she'll easily give him to his request. One thing she knows is humans always tend to fight harder when being rebuff.

"Meixiang doesn't want Heng-ge to laugh at her poorly written letters" She tried to give the little bird back but the older boy held onto her hand tight.

"Content doesn't matter as long as you write" Lin Heng softens. "And I promise not to laugh...Alright?"

Only when Meixiang gave a soft nod that Lin Heng finally let go of her hands.

"It's time for us to go" The Viscount said amusedly as he watched his little daughter scurried back into the carriage. "Lin Heng, you don't need to see us off"

The young man was reluctant to go, but seeing the little girl rushed back into the carriage, he could only sigh softly and left.

"Is my good daughter happy with this engagement?"

Along the journey back home, the Viscount studied with amusement at his young daughter petting the small white dove on her lap. It was clear that Meixiang like the dove and so her father assumed she was happy with his choice in Lin Heng. Little did he knew, her liking the dove has nothing to do with the person who gave gift to her. While the Viscount chuckled at the sight of the seemingly shy little girl, Meixiang was laughing inside. The cute little dove in her hands is only means for Meixiang to ensure Lin Heng remember her existence.