07.6 - Easton Zed

Four years quickly passed since Maida lived with the Gobi. Four years and still, she have zero progress with the mafia boss. Regardless of all her effort - despite seeing the man nearly every day while delivering him coffee and food, the man never once looked at her. No matter what tricks she tried - like accidentally spilling coffee on his desk, the man simply brushed it off like nothing. On top of that, whenever her tricks fail, the stern face right-hand man would kick her out of the office. Thus, after years of trying to get the mafia boss to just look at her, Maida begin to doubt her feminine appeal.

"Uncle Nsia"

Maida went back to the kitchen after another day of failing to get Zed Easton's attention. Uncle Nsia was sitting in one of the stool at the end of the island, enjoying a cup of tea when the 16 year-old girl entered the kitchen. After slamming the empty tray down with a pout, the lovely girl begin her usual round of hand gestures.

"Uncle Nsia, am I ugly?"

Seeing her question, Uncle Nsia nearly spit out his tea. The girl before him had long transformed from a dirty and malnourished little girl into a stunning young woman. Her once frizzy, unkempt black hair is now long and softer than silk. The yellow and bumpy skin is now creamy-dewy, peach color skin. Only her jewel emerald eyes are the same.

"Why the sudden question?" Uncle Nsia signed back with amusement.

"If I'm not ugly, then the boss must be gay. His lover must be that four-eyes, isn't he?"

"Maida, the boss is not interested in men"

"Well there aren't any women around but me. If he isn't gay, why won't he look at me?"

The old man blinked several times at Maida's indignation before he let out an eccentric laugh. Because he can't hear himself laugh, he didn't know how loud it was.

"Uncle Nsia," Maida signed fiercely with her hands. "What's so funny?"

Uncle Nsia continued to laugh while Maida pouted more. Maida had made it no secret to the old steward or anyone else for the matter that she was out to get Zed Easton. She was the only female on the premises so it was pointless for her to pretend any lack of interest toward the handsome boss. Beside, Maida wanted to let everyone know she was interested in the mafia boss. This way, she doesn't have to hide or explain herself. Instead of coming off as a scheming little girl, the men would just see her as a naive little girl with a silly crush.

"Uncle Nsia, will you stop laughing already," Maida signed while rolling her eyes. "It doesn't sound good"

"Maida, it's not that the boss isn't looking," Uncle Nsia finally stopped laughing and signed. "It's that he will not touch a child."

Maida frowned at the old man's explanation.

"Maida," Uncle Nsia continued to sign slowly with an understanding smile. "The boss will not touch a 16 year-old child. He may be dangerous, but he isn't evil."

Maida sighed softly because she knew what the old man was telling her. Frankly, Maida was well aware the age gap between the second male lead and her. She is currently 16 while Zed Easton is 32 - there was 16 years gap between them. Still, Maida hadn't asked the man to touch her. She had only wanted him to look at her. Instead of acknowledging her existence, for the past four years, there was no indication that the man accepts her presence. Even while she was right beside him and place the cup of coffee beside his hand, the man never bother to give her a single glance. If that doesn't bruise a girl's ego, the soul within Maida doesn't know what would.

"Uncle Nsia, when will he consider me a woman?"

Maida wanted to know the steward's opinion since the old man knew Zed Easton since he was a boy - thus understands the man's logic more than her.

"Maida, patience my dear," Uncle Nsia signed with a soft smile.

Little did the old man know - Maida had been patient for the last four years. Soon, with the current progress of the story, the second male lead will cross path with the protagonist.

If things continued the way they are and Maida failed to capture the mafia boss, does this mean the protagonist is destined to be the one Zed Easton falls for?

Sure enough, the following week, Zed Easton and a group of the Gobi members left to do business for seven days in the city within Inops land. Maida knew that the second male lead will meet the protagonist during this time and felt conflicted. Two choices battled within her mind while she pondered on her next move. Should she wait for the second male lead to bring back Rosie Zoua? Or should she take the chance while the mafia boss is away and make her escape? The soul within Maida was a prideful woman so needless-to-say she will not sit and wait for the man to bring back another woman.

But leaving the Gobi's lair was difficult for Maida. For all the years which she lived in the enormous den, she learned how unyielding the security was. Every corner of the entrance and exit was heavily guarded. For any members who want to enter or leave, they are always thoroughly screened. For Maida, if she wanted to leave, not only was she required screening, she had to have permission first. Of course, getting the permission part wasn't difficult for Maida - it's that she didn't want to bring trouble to Uncle Nsia. The old steward had been kind and good to her, so she did not want to bite the hand that feed her and betray him.

But how could she stay and watch as the second male lead dotes on the protagonist? Should she stay and fight? But after four years, she still has got him to look at her - much less dote on her. Moreover, she would not allow herself to fight with another woman over a man - especially one who does not have interest in her.

Maida could only give Uncle Nsia a silent apology while she tricked him into allowing her to leave and run some errands in the city. Naturally, the old man handpicked two of the strongest and most capable Gobi members to go with her for protection. Alas, the steward had underestimated the cunning little Maida. Reality was, not many people - no matter how strong or capable, could outwit the cunning soul within the seemingly harmless 16 year-old girl.