06.12 - Rivera Lukas

Blaze Jager did not know how ill his grandmother was when she suddenly fainted one day. He did know the limited time he had with his grandmother until the doctor told him there was nothing left they could do for her. The cancer cells have already attacked all her internal organs. Alison Lee Jager has only a few moments left before her shattered body collapse.

"Grandma..."

Sitting beside the cold hospital bed, Blaze held onto his grandmother's pale small hand. His eyes were filled with un-fallen tears as he looked at how fragile his grandmother was. Confusion filled his mind as he could not believe his grandmother was dying. Just a day ago, the woman was still appeared well and healthy. How could it that she suddenly falls ill? How did he not know she was sick all his time?

"Why didn't you tell me?" Blaze was too afraid to grip onto the old woman's fragile hand so buried his face against the back of her hand. "Grandma, why didn't you tell me?"

"Silly boy" Alison Lee tried to smile through the pain. "What's the use of telling you what cannot be stopped? Don't be sad Blaze..."

"How could I not?" Blaze lifted his head to look at his grandmother with sadness and anger. "Grandma, you've been in pain all this time..."

"The medicine helps..." Alison Lee soothed her grandson. "It doesn't hurt..."

Despite his stubbornness to let the tears fall, Blaze could not stop the tears of sadness. Alison Lee's heart warm knowing her dear grandson's was grieving for her.

"Where is Maxie...?" Alison Lee closed her eyes as if to gather her remaining strength.

"I'm here"

Maxie had received news of Alison Lee's emergency admission into the hospital and arrived in time to see Blaze Jager's tears. Hearing Maxie's voice, the teenager quickly rubbed his eyes - as if he refused to let her or anyone see his weakness. Maxie sighed softly and went to stand beside Alison Lee.

"I'm sorry Maxie..." Is that that Alison Lee could say to her granddaughter.

"Why are you apologizing grandmother?" Maxie's smiles were soft.

"I know you resent me... resent Cain Jager... resent the entire family..." Alison Lee's voice was weak but her words were clear and steady. "And you have every right to be..."

Maxie kept silence and let the old woman say her peace.

"Maxie... even though I have no right to ask you this" Alison Lee let go of Blaze's hand and lifted it up to Maxie. "Please Maxie"

Maxie hesitated before she took hold of her grandmother's hand.

"Maxie... I raised you and Blaze like brother and sister... You two grew up together... No matter what, Blaze is your family..." Alison Lee eyes held sorrow as she pleaded. "Please Maxie, I only ask you take care of him until he can stand on his own"

"Grandma" Blaze's broken voice held pain and resentment. "I don't need her to look after me. I only want you to look after me"

"I can't..." Alison Lee replied to Blaze but her eyes were still on Maxie. "I'm tired..."

"Grandma" Tears begin to fall from the young man's eyes.

"Promise me Maxie" Again, Alison Lee kept her eyes on her unreadable granddaughter.

"What are you saying grandmother?" Maxie said gently. "If I don't take care of the idiot, who else would?"

Blaze immediately shot Maxie an indignant look. Meanwhile, Alison Lee smiled happily. Feeling relief by Maxie's words, the old woman closed her eyes and left the world peacefully.

"Grandma!"

In silence, Maxie stood and watched with an empty expression while Blaze grieved for his beloved grandmother. While the soul inside Maxie did not feel the same grieve as the young man, she never-the-less felt sad. Although Alison Lee had not given the original Maxie Luther the same love and attention as she did with Blaze Jager, the old woman still took the orphaned Maxie Luther, helped her, gave her the education she needed, and raised her. The current Maxie had appreciated the old woman who believed her granddaughter enough to help support her to the Jager Corp.'s CEO position. Yes, it was all to pave road for her precious grandson, but Maxie still respect Alison Lee for having trust in her. Even during her last breath, Alison Lee had faith in Maxie. Trust was the most valuable thing.