09.14 - Cyde

The decuplet trial happens every decade as a way to eliminate the weak. The trial is one-on-one combat which could be seen as a stepping stone for the disciples to develop strength and power. And because so, it was naturally dangerous to take part of. Fortunately, only a few disciplines are selected to represent their Qui master. The downside? The trial is done based on draws. There will be a total of ten combat and the Oracle made up of Fire, Earth, Air, and Water will spell out the names of the chosen disciples. Once selected, the disciples – no matter the strength level or experience, will battle each other. If lucky, the loser will lose only pride – if not, he or she will lose a life.

The rules of the trial sound simple but hard to swallow. In the center of tranquil lake, on surface of the enormous lotus flower, the Oracle will choose the two competitors. Once chosen, the two disciples would battle one-on-one on the enormous flower surface. How is the loser determined? He or she must kneel before the winner and beg for mercy. This is the rule. Needless-to-say, the winner gain power and glory of a winner. If he or she wins, it meant that their master also wins. Will their master give them better treatment? Yes. Will their peers respect them? Yes.

On the other hand, the loser will gain ridicule and shame of a loser. After pride is lost, will the disciple's master allow such failure back in his or her territory? No. Will their peers respect them? No. A life is kept but living will be difficult. Those who had lost – many died within a few days after the trials, while very few developed to become the cruelest Qui masters.

Cyde – Don

The two names spun out by the Oracle determined the two men's impending future. Nilo had frown as he saw the two names in the sky and grimace further as he saw the two figures standing in the center of the lotus flower. On one end was a young man with appearance of a noble scholar – and on the other end was another young-looking man with appearance of a buff warrior. The noble looking scholar was as handsome as his infamous master, the water dragon Lei – thus the speculators all knew just how young and inexperience Cyde was. After all, this was his first decuplet trial. On the other hand, for the buff warrior, this was his third decuplet trial. The warrior may look young, but for beings in Kien, age and appearance can be deceiving.

"I'll give you a chance to beg for mercy." The warrior smirked at Cyde. "Because once we start, there will be no mercy."

Cyde did not respond nor did he care to respond. Seeing Cyde's indifference, the warrior smirked became murderous before he charged forward.

"Cyde..."

Meanwhile, watching from a distant above, Alexis stood anxiously beside her master. Feeling helpless, she glanced over to the opposite end where her eyes met with the equally anxious Nilo. Without words, the two understood that whatever happens, they will not allow the warrior to kill Cyde. Even if they had to suffer the consequence of breaking the rules, they cannot watch Cyde get killed.

"What are you so anxious about?" A voice spoke softly beside Nilo. "Instead of worrying about your brother, you should worry more about yourself."

Nilo turned and glared at his so-call master who was lazily laying on the floating chaise chair, playing with her hair while watching the battle behind the black fox mask. What made Nilo so angry was not the relax manner Myka displayed, but her playful tone. While his brother is fighting in a death battle, the fox is watching like it was some sort of game.

"Your brother is a lot stronger than you." Myka voice was calm despite her teasing ways. "To think he could lose before the fight ends, aren't you belittling him?"

Nilo was surprised by the coldness of her words. Before he could process the meaning behind her words, startled gasp spread before silence ensued. Nilo turned back to the battle ground and saw the warrior body sinking into the lake. Long after the ripples of the lake surface ended and tranquility still water returns, did everyone realize that Cyde had won. When the handsome young man returned to the water dragon side with his usual indifferent expression, everyone cheered – expressing their respect for the winner. Even the nine-tails fox clapped quietly, hiding her smile behind her mask as she watched the man standing in the distant. Even when his eyes met her, he would coldly look away.

"How cute..." Myka laughed softly.

"What?" Nilo heard and scowled, thinking the woman was teasing him again.

"Stop being cute and come here." Myka beckon Nilo over.

Nilo glared but came to his master side as ordered.

"Take this." Myka reached in her wide sleeve and pull out a small folded fan.

"What is that?"

"A fan." Myka tapped his forward with it before placing it into his hand. "Weapon of defense."

"Weapon?" Nilo made a face. "I don't need a weapon."

"You fool!" The head disciple lectured. "Master is kind enough to give you a treasure, yet you_"

Nilo looked away as if he could care less. Instead of anger, Myka laughed and gave the fan to the head disciple.

"M_ master..." The head disciple was startled.

"Take it, it's yours. A treasure for a cutie like yourself."

"M_ master." The head disciple blushed but did not return the fan that his master handed to him.

Nilo rolled his eyes and ignored the flirting fox. When he met his twin glaring eyes, Nilo was startled. When he realized Cyde was glaring at the fox, he didn't think much of it. After all, they both hated the shameless fox.

"Jealous?" Myka voice brought Nilo attention back to her.

"What?" Nilo looked at Myka like she lost her mind.

"Don't be jealous Nilo. Here." Myka took off her mask and put it on his face. "For protection."

"I don't need_"

"If you dare hurt your handsome face, your master will be very sad." Myka voice was scarily sweet. "You don't want to make your master sad now do you Nilo?"

Nilo could not only feel the fox's icy words, he could see the menace in her calm eyes.

"Behave and wear the mask." Myka leaned back on her chair and brush Nilo off like she's done talking to him. "Your turn is up soon."

If Nilo fully process his master words, he would have alarmed as to why she would even know that he even has a turn. No one knows who would participate in the trials – so why would the nine-tails fox knows? But instead of taking his master words seriously, he brushed it off, not comprehending Myka's otherworldly words.

Nilo – Zoey

Soon enough, Nilo will realize never to disregard his master's words.