01.9 - Lin Heng

Liu Jiaying did not expect to be rebuff by Lin Heng – someone who was her childhood friend. Ever since they first met, Lin Heng had treated her kindly – very much like the fourth prince Zhuang Yi. But lately, in the past few years, Lin Heng had behaved differently – very distant, almost cold toward her. Liu Jiaying had thought that it was all due to her status as Prince Zhuang Yi's future consort, so Lin Heng was forced to keep proper distance from her. She had believed that the man still treasure her as a very good friend like before. She was sure even after she became Zhuang Yi's bride, Lin Heng would always be at her side to support her in silence.

What Liu Jiaying refused to acknowledge is that Lin Heng have change. Ever since the announcement of his engagement to the daughter of the 2nd Rank Viscount Zhao, Lin Heng had been dejected. Even though the young man had tried to hide his unwillingness, Liu Jiaying had noticed. People had spoken how odd the engagement was because Lin Heng's status was much higher than Zhao Meixiang. For a 2nd Rank Viscount's daughter to marry the Prime Minister's son wasn't unheard of but was still very rare. With Lin Heng rank, he could marry a true blood princess if he wanted. But the Prime Minister was a humble man so no one was shocked when he agreed to engagement of his son to the Viscount's daughter. People only thought it was wasteful of someone like Lin Heng to marry the Viscount daughter as his main wife. Liu Jiaying had thought Lin Heng was dejected for that very reason. She had believed he was unwilling to marry.

Indeed, Lin Heng had been unwilling in the beginning. No one would have guessed that at his first sight upon Zhao Meixiang that Lin Heng's unwillingness transformed to willing. Liu Jiaying didn't know that in the last four years, Meixiang had engraved her image inside Lin Heng's heart through her letters, words, and poorly drawn sketches. Liu Jiaying never knew each time Meixiang visit the capital for the three short months of the year, Lin Heng became more willing – more eager to obtain the Viscount's daughter. When Liu Jiaying had taken Lin Heng's cold distance toward her in the past years as temporary phase in their life, she was not aware that the man was distance because his heart was preoccupied with someone else.

"Heng..." Liu Jiaying voice trembled slightly. "I_ I'm only looking out for you and Lady Zhao's best interest... it's not proper even if you're betroth to display such vulgar actions..."

No one had thought Lin Heng action toward Zhao Meixiang was vulgar. Men had been envious that Lin Heng was able to touch the white lotus beauty. Women had been envious by the loving affection Lin Heng gave to Meixiang. But because of Liu Jiaying's comment, people quickly judged Meixiang as a loose woman. Meixiang, on the other hand, smirked inside while trembling nervously on the outside. She weakly tried to pull away from Lin Heng and purposely trip over herself in order for the man to grabbed hold of her.

"L_ Lin-gongzi" Meixiang was resort back to an old trick in order to get a rise out of Lin Heng. "P_ Please let go_"

"Vulgar actions?" Lin Heng's eyes were cold as he stared straight at Liu Jiaying. "I didn't think Lady Liu see this Lin Heng as a vulgar man"

To protect Meixiang, Lin Heng put his own name out to counter Liu Jiaying's words.

"H_ Heng, I_" Liu Jiaying was startled by his cold eyes and even colder tone.

"Heng" Seeing the odd situation, Zhuang Yi finally stepped forward. "Jiaying didn't mean anything by it"

"Didn't mean anything?" Lin Heng eyes flickered to the fourth prince, revealing a storm behind calmness. "Then what exactly did she means?"

Shaking even harder in Lin Heng's arms, Meixiang purposely gripped on his robe as if telling him she was afraid.

"Heng I_" Liu Jiaying realized the situation was turning for the worst. "L_ let me apologize. I truly did not think badly of you or Lady Zhao. We're friends, aren't we?"

Lin Heng did not answer to her question.

"Heng, please" Liu Jiaying pleaded softly. "I'm sorry. I_ I was just looking out for you..."

"I don't need you to" Lin Heng's words were sharp as he said firmly. "Even if we're friends, I hope you be careful with your choice of words. I will not let Meixiang suffer grievance because of your careless verses"

Liu Jiaying was dumbstruck by Lin Heng's stern, firm tone. The usually gentle and kind man never reprimanded her for anything. He never treated her so indifferently or looked at her with such contempt. She had been so shocked that she unconsciously reached for Zhuang Yi's sleeve to seek comfort and protection. She had wanted the prince to be like Lin Heng and shield her with his embrace like Lin Heng with Zhao Meixiang. Unfortunately, Liu Jiaying is known as a strong woman who can stand on her own two feet. One of the main reasons why the fourth prince and Lin Heng were attracted to her in the first place was her bright independence. To see her hand on his sleeve, Zhuang Yi misunderstood it as her silent way of pouting. He didn't think a strong woman like Liu Jiaying needs him to protect or comfort like the frail Zhao Meixiang.

"Heng is right" Zhuang Yi gently patted Liu Jiaying's head, not realizing his words cause disappointment to her heart. "You'll be my princess consort one day. You must be careful with what you say Jiaying"

Zhuang Yi had hoped his beloved would heed Lin Heng and his words seriously. As a future princess and potential empress, Liu Jiaying would be judge by what she do or say. If she said something wrong, she'll be mentally attack. The fourth prince knew the hardship of the inner palace and warned Liu Jiaying on several occasion to be vigilant. But Liu Jiaying had always half-listen to the warnings, believing that she was strong enough to live inside the inner palace. Her confidence had assured Zhuang Yi once. Now, he wondered if the young woman truly understood the meaning of inner palace.

"I understand..." Liu Jiaying hid the bitterness inside her and looked on at Lin Heng with a warm smile. "Again, I apologize. Forgive me this once Lin Heng"

Liu Jiaying was relieved when Lin Heng's expression finally softens. But Meixiang did not give Liu Jiaying the chance to let out a breath of relief when she asked Lin Heng to take her home. Lin Heng hadn't want to part from Meixiang and pleaded quietly to her, asking her to stay longer with him. But the small woman was adamant. Even when the fourth prince and Liu Jiaying tried to plead her to join them for a meal, she politely declined their offer. Meixiang's expression clearly showed she was still nervous as her eyes flickered back and forward from the crowd like a loss little bunny. The very look caused turmoil in Lin Heng's heart.

"Let me take you home" Lin Heng wanted to hold her hand, but Meixiang refused, keeping tight hold of the plum blossom branch with both hands.

"Lin-gongzi... Meixiang have guards nearby so she'll be fine" Meixiang kept proper distance. "Do not worry"

"Please" Lin Heng pleaded quietly. "Let me take you home"

Only when Meixiang gave a quiet nod that Lin Heng let out a soft sigh of relief. When Lin Heng guided Meixiang away, he didn't bother to bid Liu Jiaying or Zhuang Yi goodbye. While Zhuang Yi shook his head in amusement, he missed the upset expression on Liu Jiaying's face.