02.14 - Endou Kai

Mark Walters waiting nearly an hour before Kai Endou rang the secretary to let him in. Although he maintained his polite manner, there was clear dissatisfaction on his face. Upon entrance, Mark Walters saw Kai Endou placing his suit jacket on the coat pole behind the large oak desk. As always, the lawyer looked sharp and impeccable from his Italian leather shoes, custom suit, silk tie and vest. For as long as Mark Walters known the lawyer, the Kai Endou always look like he's on top of the world.

"Did you really just come out from a meeting?" Mark Walters couldn't help but voice his complains at the sight of the lawyer's calm posture.

Instead of responding to Mark Walters' peevish attempt to find faults, Kai Endou sat down in his leather chair.

"What can I do for you Mark?" Kai Endou went straight to the point.

Because Kai Endou has always been a blunt and straightforward person, Mark Walters knew better than to dawdle. He did come for a favor and so put his discontentment aside.

Recently, Mark Walters' newborn son was diagnosed with a severe congenital heart disease. Currently confined in the hospital, the doctors all expressed the difficulty in keeping the infant alive. There was nothing no one can do. The infant was too small for a transplant and much too weak to survive any type of surgery. They could only help the baby breath but it could be days before the weak heart would finally stop beating. Desolated, Mark Walters and Olivia Mills could only prepare for the worst and watch over their newborn son while he slowly dies in the incubator.

"My condolences" Kai Endou's expression was unreadable as he listened to Mark Walters' story. "But I don't understand why you're here seeking help. I'm not a doctor"

Mark Walters hesitated before he finally revealed the reason to his sudden visit. Noah Walters - Mark Walters wanted his son back. He knew well it was difficult to forcefully take back Noah from his ex-wife because he had sign over all his rights when they divorced years ago.

"I see..." Kai Endou casually leaned back in his chair, while studying the nervous man sitting from across his desk. "You do remember signing over full rights over to Mia Clark"

"That woman does not have the capability to be a mother. By now, I'm sure she spent all the alimony money and is probably looking for the next fool to be her bank"

Because Mark Walters was so focus on demeaning Mia, he missed the shadowed expression on his friend's face.

"Olivia and I can raise Noah better than that woman ever could"

Mark Walters did not know anything about Mia or Noah since the divorce. He did not know that Mia had not only been able to provide a good life for her son, she had also done quite well for herself.

"Why go through the trouble Mark?" Kai Endou hid his disgust behind his lawyer's facade. "Your wife is still young. There will be other children"

Again, Mark Walters faltered before telling his friend the truth. The possibility of Olivia Mills having another baby is slim. To be exact, the possibility for Mark Walters to have another child is thin. Shortly after his newborn son was diagnose with heart failure, Mark Walters learned that he have infertility problems. The chances he would ever have another child is nearly impossible. This was the reason why he was desperate to get Noah back. Noah Walters would well be his only blood child in this lifetime.

"Please Kai; there must be something I can do to void that divorce settlement. I don't care how much I have to pay that vile woman" Mark Walters was desperate. "There must be a way for me to get Noah back from her"

"Money would not matter is Mia Clark does not accept"

"A woman like her" Mark Walters sneered. "She would"

"If she demands for everything you own?"

Only then did the man wavered - clearly not willing to give up everything.

"Your only option left is if you can present to the court proof that Mia Clark is unqualified as Noah's mother"

Despite all of his negative talk of Mia Clark, Mark Walters never really have proof f her mistreating Noah - especially in the last four years.

"Do you have any proof?" Kai Endou asked indifferently while he placed his folded hands on his knees. "The court will not take a child away from his mother without cause or..."

"Or what?" Mark Walters asked earnestly.

"Or if they believe the father is more capable to provide for the child's well being"

Mark Walters pondered on Kai Endou's words.

"What can you give Noah but Mia Clark cannot?"

A smile spread on Mark Walters' face. Money, status, and most importantly, Mark Walters can provide a wholesome family for Noah. With Mark Walters, Noah will have a father and a mother. Olivia Mills was kind and gentle woman. Mark Walters believed that his current wife was more capable as a mother than Mia Clark.

"I understand" Mark Walters smiled wider. "Then will you help me again with this matter Kai?"

"No" Kai Endou rejected without hesitation. "This is not within my practice"

"But last time..." Mark Walters couldn't believe his friend would reject helping him.

"Last time is an exception due to our friendship" Kai Endou continued apathetically. "One favor is more than enough"

Mark Walters knew he would be pushing his luck if he continued to persist on Kai Endou being his lawyer for Noah's matter. Outside his law firm, Mark Walters understood Kai Endou dislike dealing with his clients' personal matters. Even if he was a friend, the lawyer will draw the line and not be indecisive in ending the friendship either. And Mark Walters didn't want to lose a capable friend like Kai Endou either so could only accept his rejection.

"I can refer you to others"

"Thank you Kai" Mark Walters stood with a gracious smile. "I appreciate your time"

Standing to shake the man's hand, Kai Endou then watched Mark Walters exited his office.