Sneaky

Lacus was in his bed, unable to fall asleep. His eyes scanned the room. They landed on a sleeping René, then moved to the alarm clock. 

3:15 AM.

Lacus and the other boys were trained to go for a daily run every morning at 4:00 AM. He had forty-five minutes left to rest. Unfortunately, once Lacus was up, he was up.

The purple haired boy got out of bed, making sure he was quiet. He walked into the bathroom and turned the light on when he closed the door. He grabbed the bar of soap he used for his face and freshened up. He had fixed his hair, putting half of the hair up into a bun, the rest down. Lacus left, about to get dresses. Lacus was about to grab his clothes from his closet, when he noticed something aloof.

The gap.

Near the light fixture, there was a slight crack next to the bulbs. Lacus climbed onto the folded step stool that stood next to the closet door and took a closer look at the bulbs. He peered into the gap and was horrified by what he saw.

Inside the small opening was a minuscule hearing device. A bug. 

Lacus pried the small chip out of its hiding place. He ran over to René and shook him, waking him up.

"Lacus? What the hell?" René's groggy voice asked.

Lacus held up the bug in front of René's face. René switched the lamp light on and took the bug from his friend's hands, his eyes widening at the realization that their conversations were heard. 

"Where did you find this?" René's voice was firm and he was clearly angered. Frightened even.

"In a crack next to the lights. Just above the closet doors," he replied.

In a fit of rage, René took the bug and threw it to the ground. He brought his foot down and smashed the chip, it's audio abilities completely diminished. Lacus looked down at the smashed bug when he was hit with an epiphany.

What if there were more?

Lacus searched through the room, yanking the clocks and pictures from the walls. René did the same, looking thoroughly between every nook and cranny. 

In the end, the boys found 10 different bugs. Two in cracks next to light fixtures, three behind the bookshelf, one behind the clock, two placed carefully inside the lamps, and two under their beds, one for each. 

Lacus sighed. Although René and Lacus had nothing suspicious up their sleeves, they were still mad that their privacy had been violated. And he knew exactly whose work this was.

The boys now knew how the girls would probably feel.

Lalynn bolted down the halls of Sanguinem Academy and into the new boys' section of the school. Her oversized jacket covered up her hair and curves, giving her a anonymous look. There was a bug carefully tucked in her jacket pocket.

Once Lalynn reached the boys' rooms, she opened the door and casually walked down the hallway. No one was wandering around. Most of the boys were out on their morning run, but she knew that someone might open the door at any second. That was why she had to get to room 420 as soon as possible.

She walked down the hallway, her eyes quickly grazing the numbers on each door.

409, 410, 411 . . .

Lalynn picked up her pace. She grew impatient as she passed more doors.

417, 418, 419 . . .

Just before she reached 420, a hand jerked her arm, catapulting her into a room. Lalynn crashsd into a strong boy's chest, leaving her astonished and confused. She heard the door close, and Lalynn pushed the boy away from her, allowing her to take in his face.

Lacus.

"Lacus, you little bit--!" Lalynn was silenced by Lacus's hand being placed over her mouth. She pumped her fists in front of his face as a threat, but Lacus thought nothing of it. He ignored her and led her into the back of the room. This way, their conversations would be less easy to hear. 

"When I uncover your mouth, you need to keep your voice hushed. Got it?" Lalynn nodded. Lacus uncovered her mouth, and Lalynn stayed silent. "Woah, I thought for sure that by now you would've--?!" 

Lalynn shoved Lacus hard. Incredibly hard. He flew backwards and cannoned into a wall. Lalynn had a smirk of victory despite her fiery eyes. Lacus rubbed the back of his head, trying to ease the pain shooting through him. Although Lalynn had just abused Lacus, he was in love with Lalynn's strength and the angry look on her face. In his opinion, that was the cutest look on her.

Lacus got up slowly, only to get slapped across the face. He looked up at Lalynn from the ground he was unable to get off of. "Look, Lalynn--" He was cut off.

"No. I'm bout to give you a piece of this mind," said Lalynn, pointing at her head. Her hoodie was off of her head, revealing her beautiful purple curls. "You placed bugs in our room. You violated our privacy. You can't do that!" 

Lacus grew angry. He got up and grabbed Lalynn's wrist pulling her closer to him. The last time she was this close to Lacus was when the two danced together on the night of the Code Black alarm. How he wished they hadn't been interrupted.

"Lalynn," he said firmly. His voice as cold as the bitterly cold winter air. It was enough to chill Lalynn to the bone. "I know we can't do that, but that won't stop me. Just like it clearly didn't stop you."

Lalynn looked down in an attempt to try and hide the guilty look on her face. It was too late for that. Lacus could see right through her. Lalynn shivered. Lacus was staring at Lalynn with a piercing gaze, reminding Lalynn that the nonchalant boy she met was gone. 

She looked up, the guilt unable to melt away. "Okay, so you caught me. But you were still in the wrong!" Lacus gave her a playful smirk. "And?" Lalynn sighed.

"And . . . maybe I was also in the wrong," she said, rolling her eyes. Lacus let out a small laugh. He noticed the uneasiness in Lalynn's movements, and realized he still had a death grip on her wrist. Lacus let go of her immediately, a slight brush creeping up to his cheeks. 

"Heh . . . Sorry bout that," he said nervously. Lalynn gave a small nod and moved over to the door. Her hand rested on the doorknob as she turned around to look at Lacus.

"Look. I'm sorry for bugging your room. We just wanted to do some digging. You know, about that Code Black thing. If it makes you feel any better, we didn't really think much about your conversations. All of them were just of you pissing René off."

Lacus gave her a cheeky smile.

Lalynn continued. "Anyways, tell René I said sorry too." Lalynn turned the doorknob and joked the door open a little bit before getting stopped by Lacus.

"Hey, Lalynn?" His voice went from being nonchalant, to harsh, to incredibly soft. Lalynn laughed in her head.

"Yeah?"

"How about we help you? You know, the Code Black thing." Lacus winked at Lalynn as she smiled.

"That sounds great, Lacus. Thank you." And with that, Lalynn pulled up her hood and disappeared into the depths of the school.