Behind the Pages

Megan walked up the stairs the next day and reached Reinelle's room. She knocked three times, and smiled when Reinelle opened the door. 

"Ready?"

"You know it."

Misaki sat down next to Kayla and Lalynn on their bed and asked her a question about covert operations. Since Kayla, Reinelle, and Lalynn had taken that class many times before she and Hazel, she thought she might interrogate them a bit.

"You guys have taken covert operations, right?"

Lalynn said, "Yeah, we have. What about it? Something wrong?" Misaki shook her head.

"No, no. Just have some questions for you."

Kayla smiled while Lalynn took a few spoonfuls of yogurt. "Ask away," she said.

Misaki asked, "What we're the rules on time? Was the teacher strict about time management?" Kayla nodded frantically.

"Oh, you'd better believe it. If you were late, you got a zero for the day. Kind of like professor Harrison. In covert operations, time is super important. Most of our missions had time limits." Lalynn agreed.

"Mr. Wilson--" Misaki cut her off.

"Wait, Mr. Wilson? Who's that?" Lalynn and Kayla shared a look of confusion, then gave Misaki a questioning look.

"Mr. Wilson. The CoveOps teacher? You just had that class yesterday, Misaki," said Kayla. Lalynn continued to quietly eat her yogurt.

"Hazel and I didn't get taught by a Mr. Wilson. We had Mr. Stevenson."

Lalynn choked on her spoon. "Mr. Stevenson?!" Lalynn exclaimed. "That guy from  Sanguinem Institute? What's he doing there?" Kayla looked at Misaki expectantly. 

"I don't know. That's why I came to you guys. What do you think is going on?"

Kayla and Lalynn shared a look.

"We're gonna have to do a lot more digging. I think that Code Black has something to do with this. But first we're  gonna need some help."

Madame Kennedy was resting in bed when she heard a knock at her door. 'Who could that be?' she thought. She quickly got up and ran her fingers through her hair, her short black curls going back into place. She tied her robe and opened the door, getting a surprise.

Outside her doorway were two girls. One with a smile on her face, and the other with a dusty, old leather book. "Megan, Reinelle. What are you doing here? This is the teacher's area," she said. The girls were preparing themselves for a lecture, but this time they got a surprise when Madame Kennedy said, "At least be a little more covert! Get inside." Megan and Reinelle shared a look and smiled as they made their way into their C&A teacher's room.

"You know, I ought to give you two detention for this," said Madame Kennedy after closing the door. Reinelle smiled. Madame Kennedy was her favorite teacher. She was strict in the classroom, sarcastic out of the classroom. It was easy for Reinelle to be around her, not to mention she was incredibly wise and pretty. Reinelle knew she could trust her for some answers.

"Madame Kennedy, please don't get mad when we tell you this," saide Megan. Madame Kennedy nodded for her to keep on going.

"We . . . broke into sub level three to get to the historical documents room. And we found something."

"Wow. I should give you two double detention!" Reinelle thought she should make another sad joke.

"But not triple detention. Phew, ha. Hehe . . . I'm sorry." Reinelle shook her head quickly and regained her seriousness. Madame Kennedy simply smiled, amused. "Anyways . . . We found this in the room."

Reinelle took the leather book out from under her arm and handed it to Madame Kennedy carefully, not wanting the pages to fall out. As soon as Madame Kennedy saw the book, her eyes widened and she froze. Her arm slowly moved up and took the book, her eyes examining the symbol and shock. And it seemed as if she was slightly fearful, too.

"Girls . . . you can't tell anyone else about this book. This stays between the three of us. Do you hear me?" The girls nodded silently, frozen from Madame Kennedy's sudden harsh tone.

"Sit down, you two. There's a lot you two need to know. Especially about the Circle of Conaghan."

Reinelle and Megan would soon learn about the dangers lurking around every corner.  

That night, as every student and teacher was resting, one man was busy sneaking through the halls in order to fulfill his mission.

Mr. Stevenson reached the vending machine at sub level two, and within a few minutes, he was in the historical documents room in sub level three. He made his ways past the lasers effortlessly. Once all of the security measures were turned off, he took his time to search through the room. Mr. Stevenson was determined to take back what belonged to his many brothers and sisters, the ones that had trusted him for this one moment.

He reached one of the shelves, and searched for the book. He lifted up documents and posters and saw the word 'Conaghan,' and saw the shape of a rectangle in the dust. Mr. Stevenson swore in frustration.

"Damn. Looks like someone beat me to it. I should've known it wouldn't have been easy." 

Mr. Stevenson turned on the lasers and made his way back to his assigned room, leaving no trace of his presence. 

"I'm not leaving without that damn book."