Pleasant Distractions

Zillana strolled along the walking trails of Ballycroy National Park, enjoying the view of green hills. She was too busy twirling her short braid around to notice Noah sneaking as many glances at her as he could. 

"What are you looking at?" Zillana asked when she'd caught him. Noah looked away quickly.

"O-Oh, I was j-just . . . never mind," he muttered as Zillana giggled. 

"Hm. So you're a shy one?" Noah nodded.

"Guess so," he replied meekly. Noah was a tall boy, handsome with dark hair and beautiful red eyes. He was a stunning vampire, but his shyness pushed people away from him. He didn't have to look to know Zillana was staring at him, sort of confused.

"Why's that? What're you afraid of?" Before Noah could answer her, Giselle jumped onto Zillana's back. She struggled to keep her balance and let out a yelp as she hit the ground. Giselle had managed to get off her friend before she went down, too. 

"Why?!" Zillana shouted as she clutched her knee in pain. "Giselle, you shall pay!" Giselle's only response was loud laughter. Noah, Gordan, and Jamie laughed, too, having witnessed the entire scene. That had made their day.

The sun was shining very brightly, and Reinelle wasn't having it. Their little walk was complete and everyone was back home. Lennox and the boys were at another safe house a couple miles away. 

Reinelle was on her bed, her face stuffed into her pillow and her stomach pinning the blankets. "Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Megan and Zillana peeked inside the cozy looking room. Lalynn was in the small kicthen, raiding the pantry with Hazel and Kayla. "You good, bro?" Megan asked. She poked Reinelle's shoulder many times. "Nel?

"No," Reinelle said, her reply muffled.

"Nel."

"No."

"Ne-"

"Nooooo." 

Zillana giggled and grabbed Lalynn's pillow from the bed next to Reinelle's. She swung the pillow high in the air. It came crashing down onto Reinelle's back. Reinelle stayed still fro a moment. Then she gripped her own pillow and send it flying straight into Zillana's face. Megan and Zillana laughed as Reinelle settled her face back in her pillow.

"Okay, Nel. Last chance," Megan warned. Reinelle stayed silent.

"I'm going to slap your butt."

Reinelle sat right up, shifting so that she was sitting on her bottom. "No, don't do that." Megan laughed and joined Zillana at the edge of the bed.

"What's bothering you?" Zillana asked, snatching Reinelle's pillow from her and lightly hitting her with it.

"Is it Madison?" Megan asked.

"Yeah."

"You couldn't have done anything, Nel. Don't beat yourself up," Zillana said softly.

Reinelle gave her a gentle smile. "I know that. But before she left . . ."

"Before she left? What happened?" Megan asked.

"Madison said . . . she'd see me soon." 

Megan stayed quiet as she looked at Zillana. Reinelle's heads hung low, her eyes examining her hands. Zillana sighed. 

"Well, she probably meant that. And when she shows up, we'll give her the biggest surprise of her life. Right, Megan?"

"Yuppies," she said, ignoring Reinelle's 'That's Not A Word' look. "But for now, that woman's not getting anywhere near us in here."

Reinelle gave them a smile and snatched her pillow from Zillana's grasp. "Thank you, guys," she said while laying back on her pillow. "You know, there is something else she said. I think you guys will want to hear this."

At that very moment, a potato landed in Reinelle's lap. Megan's head shot up, Zillana's head whipped to face the door, and Reinelle was shooting daggers at the girl standing at the doorway.

Lalynn.

"A potato flew around my room!" Lalynn shouted, her arms filled with bags of chips, cookies, pretzels, and an assortment of candies. Reinelle rolled her eyes at Lalynn's reference. 

"Dear God," she mumbled.

Lalynn threw the bags onto Reinelle's bed and jumped onto her own bed. Hazel and Kayla soon came running in with drinks, joining Lalynn on her bed. Megan burst out laughing at their intrusion, the others soon joining. 

"I hear laugh -- woah." Giselle stood in the doorway staring at the mountain of snacks. "Food!" Giselle said, joining Lalynn's side.

Misaki soon walked into the room, saying nothing. She walked over to Reinelle, grabbed a bag of potato chips, opened it, and plopped down on her bed while shoving chips in her mouth.

"Okay, so you guys, shut up." Megan stared at all of them. Reinelle shook her head.

"No one was talk--"

"Shh!" The girls hissed. Reinelle rolled her eyes.

"Nel said Madison said something we'd wanna hear. So all of you shut up. Open your snacks now, and Nel, you spill the tea."

"I thought it was spill the beans," Megan countered. Zillana smacked her arm. "Ow, why?" Megan spat.

"So Madison went up to me, when we were in that room, she stroked my cheek, yata yata," Reinelle casually said. Megan gave her a strange look.

"That's not creepy at all," Kayla said through a mouth full of m&m's.

"Okay, she basically eyed me and then said that it's no wonder Rene likes me so much."

The room went dead silent for a few seconds. Then every girl dropped their bags and went, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!"

Kayla squealed. "Oh my gyosh, he like you! He totally does! I told you, I told you, I told you!" Reinelle rolled her eyes. Again.

"No, you didn't."

"I'm pretty sure I did," she argued. 

"And I'm pretty sure you didn't."

Before Kayla could argue any further, Lalynn clamped her hand over Kayla's mouth to shut her up. "Kayla, ya didn't. Okay, so Reinelle, continue."

"That-That was all."

"R-Really?" Hazel mocked. Reinelle glared at her. "Okay, Hazel."

Soon enough, the girls were teasing Reinelle about Rene, which turned into Reinelle teasing them about the other guys.

"Lalynn, let's talk about Lacus. Shall we?" Reinelle joked. Lalynn grabbed a bottle of blood and threw it at her best friend.

"Uh, no, we shall not."

Reinelle laughed and took a sip from the bottle. That day, the girls spent most of their time teasing each other about boys while shoving junk food in their mouths. 

"You know," Misaki started. "It's nice to have a few pleasant distractions now and then."

The girls couldn't agree more.