Crazy

"So we have the lyrics. Now we need to figure out what they mean." 

Lalynn kept her eyes on the two papers Madame Kennedy had taped together, which is why she never noticed Lacus's eyes on her. Besides, the Marchioness didn't want to look at him anyways. 

She kept repeating the words over and over. Monsters in the dark lurk around the park . . .

Reinelle pulled out her book on the Circle and flipped through the pages. Reinelle and Lalynn were seated at a small table outside a cafe, isolating themselves from the others. Lalynn took a small sip from her cup of blood and watched Reinelle land on one page. 

"Here. Look at this." Reinelle placed her finger at the beginning of a short paragraph.

The Circle's main members were intense and filled with hatred and rage. Conaghan and his gang always kept their eyes on the original Academy, mainly watching from afar. They wanted to be ready to surprise them with as many attacks as they could.

"Monsters in the dark," Reinelle said. "That's it!" Reinelle studied Lalynn's confused expression.

"What's it?"

"The monsters in the dark are the Circle members!" Reinelle smiled brightly. Lalynn started to catch on. "So that means . . ."

"The park is the area around Anabelle Johnson's original academy!" Lalynn clapped her hand together.

"Exactly!"

A few tables down, Madame Kennedy was watching Lalynn flail her arms around in excitement. "You girls okay over there?" Patricia called. Lalynn gave a thumbs up and went back to frantically waving her arms in the air. One table to their right was Kayla, Misaki, and Hazel, who were joining the little party. Next to Kayla's table were Megan, Zillana, and Giselle who were busy judging.

Patricia smirked and sipped her steaming coffee. Jason smiled at her. He usually kept a serious attitude, but Patricia Kennedy's striking looks had a real effect on him. Kennedy's short, curly hair was blowing in the wind, the sunlight giving her jet black hair a beautiful glow. Sure, she wasn't nineteen, but she didn't look forty! She looked good for being a 32 year old woman. Really good.

And Jason took notice.

"Reinelle's a smart girl." Jason's eyes moved to Reinelle, who was flipping through the pages of that precious book with so much determination. Patricia's eyes softened when she looked at the wonderful girl Rebecca left her with.

"She is," she agreed. "And so are her friends." Jason looked at Patricia's long eyelashes then quickly looked away before he ended up falling off of his chair.

"So," Patricia started. "How long are you planning on staying here?" Patricia didn't look at Jason when she said it, but she could tell he was smirking. 

"What, tired of me already?" Lennox joked. Kennedy smiled. 

"You know, you really are exhausting," she teased. Jason chuckled and continued sipping. 

Suddenly, Patricia's eyes grew sad and clouded with worry. "I worry about her." She shook her head. "I really do, Jason."

Jason Lennox sighed. "She's doing fine. I mean, look at her." Their eyes locked on Reinelle, reading the book and smiling as she found more and more clues to uncovering the truth about the lyrics. "She's happy. Reinelle's a smart girl, like I told you. There's no need to worry about her, Pat." He tried reassuring her with a smile.

It didn't work. Patricia shook her head again and sipped her coffee. "No, Jason, there is. She was hearing music in that room!" A couple of heads turned, but Patricia paid no attention. "Only God knows what's going on inside her head."

The two remained silent for a while. Jason didn't say it, but he knew she was right. Reinelle did hear the music, but no one else did. Then Patricia brought up something no one wanted to bring up. Verbally, that is.

"Need I remind you that Reinelle lost her memory? She's a teenage girl who lost both of her parents. She's chasing the Circle. She went to Ireland and came back five months later. Five months, Jason. She was only supposed to be gone a week, at most. And Reinelle came back with no memory of what she did." 

Jason nervously added, "And she was injured in a convent."

"And she was injured in a convent!" Kennedy threw her hands in the air. "I don't know what to do, Lennox. I don't know anymore."

Lenox looked at the ground and took a sip of his now cold coffee. He swallowed hard and started to think. "Patricia . . ." Jason trailed off, not knowing what to say. It was either because he just didn't even know what he was going to say, or because Patricia's head was now resting on his shoulder.

"Jason?" Patricia asked, staring at Reinelle with concern swimming in her eyes. 

"Yes?" Jason didn't dare to look at Patricia's perfect face.

"Is Reinelle going crazy?" 

Jason didn't answer right away. Patricia didn't say anything else. The two adults just stared at the girl who was causing them so much confusion in concern. Jason reached for his cup, but found he'd drank all of the coffee. 

"No, Patricia. Of course not."

But in the end, Jason was lying. And both of them knew it.