Longitude & Lattitude

"So do you wanna tell me what was so important about this book? We nearly got killed, you know." 

Megan say on Reinelle's bed in her room beside Lalynn. The rest of the gang was in there, too. This included Zillana and Giselle. "I still can't believe someone was tampering with that water pressure! Next time, please take us with you, okay?" Giselle requested worriedly. The group agreed. 

"We will," Megan said. "Now shoot, Reinelle."

Reinelle stared at the book in her hands. The leather didn't face too much damage and the pages seemed to be holding up. She sighed as she stared at the initials. 

R.S.

"These intials . . ."

"Aren't they René's?" Megan asked, running her finger over the thread. Lalynn moved closer to get a better look and looked up at Reinelle in shock. Reinelle nodded at her.

"These aren't Reinelle's initials . . ." Lalynn trailed off. Reinelle sadly took a deep breath.

"This is my father's journal." The room fell silent and the air grew heavy. Everyone felt obliged to stay silent, but there was no doubt the girls wanted to know more.

"Theses are his initials," Reinelle said, her fingers tracing the sewing. "Raphael Simmone." Her voice was barely a whisper. Megan closed her eyes, letting Reinelle know that she could continue whenever she was ready.

Reinelle opened the book and took in the writing. She smiled. She remembered when she was little, her father would chastise her for writing crookedly. She recalled arguing and asking him to write a few words himself. When he did, Reinelle would burst out laughing because of her father's terrible penmanship. Her mother would check up on them and end up laughing, too.

The memory seemed so far away, and Reinelle started to feel the hurt inside. Her father --- who she hoped was only missing but knew was dead --- would never be able to check Reinelle's handwriting. 

She continued to stare at the letters on the pages. "I'd recognize this scrawl anywhere. It's my father's." Reinelle smiled, but her eyes remained empty and sad. Once she'd remembered why she had the book, her serious composure came flooding back.

"I think this book might hold answers. My dad was in Interpol. Madame Kennedy asked if he'd left me anything that could help us solve the case and I think this might be it." Reinelle looked at them with a strong mixture of determination and excitement in her eyes. 

Lalynn smiled. "If the journal does hold answers, we'll be one step closer to ending this." Reinelle nodded.

"Who knows? Maybe two."

The girls had left, leaving Reinelle and Lalynn in their room alone. Reinelle had gotten up to stash the book in a safe place when a small folded slip of paper fell out of the book. 

Reinelle remembered the Evapopaper that was in her pocket and felt around for it. It wasn't there. It must've evaporated, Reinelle thought, in the water in sub level four.

"What's that?" Lalynn asked, pointing at the paper with her good arm. Reinelle picked it up and unfolded it to reveal numbers. 

But not just any numbers.

"What's it say?" Lalynn got out of bed and moved over to Reinelle's desk, who was scanning the paper carefully.

"It's . . . It's longitude and latitude," she said. Reinelle showed Lalynn the numbers.

53. 3429° N, 6. 2674° W

The coordinates were written in her father's messy scrawl, and Reinelle rushed to grab an atlas from her book shelf. She gripped the book and took it down from her shelf, running back over to her desk. Lalynn out the paper on the desk and watched as Reinelle flipped through the pages of the atlas.

"I think I know where this is . . . 53. 3429° North . . . 6. 2674° West . . ." Reinelle mumbled. Then she slammed her finger down on the atlas, pointing at a specific spot on the map.

"Aha!" Reinelle exclaimed proudly. "These are the coordinates for Dublin Castle!" 

Lalynn leaned  to get a good look of the map. Her eyes followed the numbers and realized Reinelle was right. Then it struck her.

"Wasn't Anabelle Johnson's original school located in Dublin, Ireland? I thought it was hidden behind Dublin Castle." Lalynn fished around her storage chest for a book on the subject. She pulled it out.

"Yeah," she said. Her fingers flipped the pages of The History of Johnson. She found the answer on one of the final few pages. "It says right here: 'Anabelle Johnson hid her school a few miles behind Dublin Castle using her cutting edge technology. The ruins remain there today.'" 

Reinelle and Lalynn shared a look. Lalynn put her book back into the chest while Reinelle pinned the coordinates to the wall. 

"So why would those coordinates be in you dad's journal?" 

Reinelle shrugged. "I don't know. But there's only one way to find out." The two girls smiled at each other, thinking the same thing.

"We dig deeper."