Missing

A cold snow was falling outside on the mountaintop, making the interior of the log cabin chilly. Reinelle was covered in a heap of blankets when she woke up. Her head was spinning and her whole body ached, not to mention she was wrapped in band aids like a mummy.

The door to the chilly room opened, and in walked Madame Kennedy. She was carrying a warm bowl of creamy tomato soup and a glass of water. Her face looked gentle and kind, like a mother. Reinelle watched her approach the bed with half open eyes. 

"Reinelle, you're awake." 

Reinelle tried to smile, but her face was sore. "I'm aware," she said.

Reinelle tried to sit up, but fell back down onto the mattress. She closed her eyes and wished she were anywhere but this room. 

"Where am I?" Reinelle's voice was coarse and sounded groggy. 

Madame Kennedy lifted her hand and gently stroked Reinelle's face. Madame Kennedy was a wonderful aunt.

"We're near Mount Fuji," said Madame Kennedy. Reinelle's eyes grew wide.

"Why are we here?" 

"I have many safe houses located around the world. This is one of them."

Madame Kennedy lifted the bowl and handed it to Reinelle. She moved her bottom back a bit, so that she was sitting straight enough for her to eat. She simply cradled the bowl, even though she wasn't hungry.

Patricia Kennedy hated seeing her niece in such a state. She remembered asking every girl to report to the Ferris wheel at the carnival, and growing worried when Reinelle and Lalynn didn't appear after a while. Patricia searched and searched until she ran to the mall. She snuck through the employees only hallway and into the elevator.

That was when she saw her niece and her best friend laying unconscious on the hard cement rooftop. 

Patricia shook her head sadly, trying to get rid of the memory. She looked at Reinelle with pained eyes, who was simply staring at the tomato soup inside the wooden bowl. Reinelle sighed, but then seemed to realize something.

"Where's Lalynn?" Reinelle's eyes became shiny red pools of panic. She put the bowl down at the side table and nearly jumped out of bed, but her body stopped her. Reinelle looked at Madame Kennedy expectantly.

"She's fine, squirt. Don't worry, she's here." Reinelle looked relieved. But only for a few seconds.

"How could she be fine? We got attacked by the Circle!" Reinelle shouted angrily. She started to cough, and Madame Kennedy handed her the glass of water. Reinelle quietly sipped, put the glass back, and continued.

"How do you know that the Circle attacked you?"

"One of them, a woman, was wearing a ring. If had the same symbol as the Circle of Conaghan book. A circle made of knives and an eye inside," said Reinelle.

Madame Kennedy shook her head. "I'm afraid there's gonna be a lot more where that came from. But don't worry, hon, it'll be okay. I'll be on high alert, and the school will work to stop this madness."

Reinelle swallowed some of the creamy soup, enjoying the warm feeling that passed down her throat with each spoonful. "Thank you, Madame Kennedy."

"I want you to seriously call me something else."

"Like what?" Reinelle asked, a small smile on her lips. 

"Oh, don't know, maybe something like . . . Aunt Pat!" Madame Kennedy clapped her hands excitedly and squealed.

"Aunt Pat, you are way too excited about this," Reinelle said. "And I'm not calling you that in front of my friends." Madame Kennedy laughed.

"Ha! Such a teenager!" Madame Kennedy mocked. Reinelle gave her a look.

"What? How? I'm 19-- never mind."

For those few minutes, it seemed like nothing evil could ever harm Reinelle. Or ever had.

Lalynn struggled to move over to the balcony. She grabbed some of the blankets on the bed and wrapped them around her. She staggered over to the covered balcony and watched the fat flakes fall from the sky.

Lalynn felt so sore, and she felt like exploding. She heard footsteps behind her, and glanced behind her. It was her best friend.

"Reinelle," she said softly. Reinelle looked so sad, sadder than she usually looked. She walked over to Lalynn's side and observed the falling snow, too.

"Lalynn, I'm sorry," Reinelle said. "I'm sorry I couldn't keep you safe."

She shook her head. "Don't be," Lalynn said. "There was nothing you could've done."

The two continued to stare out at the mountaintop. Even though they were still alive, and they were recovering, Reinelle felt like a part of each of there souls died that day on the rooftop. 

A part of them had suddenly disappeared, and would be missing for the rest of their lives.