Outlast AU (Shin x Reader)

What's up, my name is Alexis and I can't adhere to my own schedule! Yay (Note the sarcasm). Sorry, I juust really like updating this, so I keep jumping the gun. So, sorry for my mini rant... Back to having a reporter reader! This one was requested by RedMoonRose! I hope you enjoy it.

         You grumble and load another battery into your camera; those stupid sewers are too dark for their own good! You climb up the nearby ladder and look around; there are no patients around. Good. You haul yourself up and start walking down the halls. Your footsteps echo, which makes you frown. If someone is here, they could track you by them...

         "Oh no..." a voice whispers, which makes you stop and look around. When you lift your camera, you active night vision to survey the darkness. The first thing that sticks out is a feeble looking boy in the corner. He's covering his head, and his entire frame is shaking. You put your camera away and consider running, yet you feel bad for him. Maybe something is up ahead?

         "Hey," you say, yet it comes out rather aggressively. The boy jumps and starts whispering something, it sounds kind of like a prayer. "Hey!" you bark again, "What are you hiding from?" The boy gulps and curls into a small ball.

         "Please don't hurt me..."

         "I-I'm not going to hurt you," you say. "I'm just curious as to what you're hiding from..." You stop and look around, anything could be nearby, right? "Listen, my name is (Y\N) (L\N), and I'm an investigative reporter," you say, smiling as you introduce yourself. "And I promise I'm not going to hurt you."

         "Wait, you're... You're not one of them?" The boy inches closer, which allows you to see his face. Apparently 'boy' is not the right word to use... He's an adult, clearly, with a very young looking face. "I thought you were one of the variants! I-I was hiding in hopes you'd walk by without hurting me..." he admits. The male stands, which allows you to take in more of his appearance. He's a nurse, he's very small, and he's kind of cute. "My name is Shin. It's a pleasure to meet you."

         "Likewise. Sorry for scaring you..." Shin shakes his head and soon fiddles with his fingers.

         "No... It's my fault. I'm a bit of a coward, you see, and I'm not a fighter. The only thing I can do is hide, and I keep assuming the worst case scenario." You cross your arms before shivering. Something about standing still for too long gave you a nervous feeling.

         "Are you planning on just staying here all day?" you ask. "Because I wouldn't recommend it." Shin frowns before looking around; the thought of leaving his hiding space seemed horrible. "You were, weren't you?"

         "I can't go through this place..." You cover your face and sigh; if he were to die it could be traced back to you, right?

         "Alright, we're going to work together," you decide, grabbing his arm. "I don't want your blood on my hands, and two heads are better than one." Shin stumbles as you drag him, his cheeks are bright red.

         "I-I can't possibly do that! I'm only going to drag you down if I go with you!" You send a look over your shoulder, which makes him go quiet.

         "Yeah, but you're not gonna live if I abandon you. Now come on, we have an asylum to escape." Shin gulps before lacing his fingers with yours; the thought of being separate is too horrible for him to bare! This brings a small smile to your face and you shake your head; what have you just gotten yourself into?

---

         There's some good and bad things about bringing Shin with you. And to start this list, let's begin with the good things. If you're trying to do something tricky such as climbing, Shin will stay right where you ask him to (Well, he'll find a hiding spot in that area). If you call for him, he'll come right to your side. He's small enough to get into really narrow spaces, especially ones that you can't make it in to. And now for the bad things. Shin isn't athletic, so you have to help him climb up into vents and whatnot. When you have to separate, you have to explain in detail what's happening and how long you'll be away for. Calling for him may draw attention from unwanted visitors. And finally, if you have him do something he has to be able to see you or else he freezes up.

         "Alright, Shin." You say, placing your hands on the nurse's shoulder. He looks up at you with wide and concerned eyes, which makes you sigh. "I have to climb to the third floor," you say, pointing at the open space. "I need you to stay here, and out of trouble."

         "It's too dangerous for you! We can find another way out-"

         "Shin, we need to do this. Another way out could mean far more dangers than scaling a few floors," you remind him. "We need simple ways or else we may be in trouble." Shin frowns, but eventually gives in to your logic. "Good, now pick a place to hide." The small nurse runs over to a pile of debris and hides behind it. He's practically invisible there, which makes you nod. "Good. I'll be right back." And with that, you run to a cut and jump on it, climbing up to the first of three floors.

---

         The key is clutched tightly in your hand as you sprint away from the patient. His eyes are wild, and he grabs a hold of your arm. You let out a cry of shock before kicking him away. Regretfully your footing is lost, and you fall from the first floor. You hit the ground and cry out; your vision is spinning and everything seems fake. The patient who was chasing you gives up and stalks back to his cell on the first floor.

         "(Y\N)!" a voice squeaks. Shin runs out from hiding and is by your side faster than you can blink. When he spots the blood coming from your head, he winces and begins tearing at his uniform. "Just stay still, alright? You may have a concussion, and I have to make sure you're okay." You watch as he works diligently, his tongue poking out of his mouth slightly.

         "When you focus, you're really cute," you murmur, which makes the small nurse blush and thank you for your compliment. He continues to clean up your head, but you make it difficult by trying to hold his hand. Your childlike behavior would be funny any other time but now.

         "(Y\N), you need to let me work."

         "But I like look at you, and holding you," you grumble childishly, pouting as Shin frowns. "I like you a lot."

         "I like you too, but right now I need to focus." And with that, you stop fidgeting so he can work.

---

         There's some good and bad things about bringing Shin with you. And to start this list, let's begin with the bad things. When you're trying to do something tricky like climbing, Shin will yell at you to knock it off, then climb up to do whatever it is you were trying to do. When you ask him to stay where he is, he refuses and tells you that you're going to need help. For the good things, now. Shin comes if you call for him, and he'll check you over for injury if you're really frightened. If you can't fit in a tight space, Shin climbs through and gets whatever it is he needs, then returns to you. When you separate, Shin tells you in detail what not to do in order to prevent more injury.

         "Shin, I like going through this place with you," you say, though this isn't from your head injury. The small nurse sends you a smile and grabs your hand. When did he start taking the lead for the two of you?

         "I know."

         "I think I want to stay with you."

         "My family will love you." You blush at this, and you fiddle with your hair. The small male grins and laughs before lacing your fingers together. "Come on, I'm sure we can find that key." You blink in surprise before smiling and nodding.

         "Yeah, I'm sure we can."