3. Rocky

(c) - Isobel (@BellaVanella)

I was standing in line for lunch, waiting for my turn to get my meal. I was the 7th person in line. Velvet, Ems and Elle ahead of me. I was looking for George but so far, no luck.

"Jane," Velvet whispered. I looked at her. "Yeah?" I asked. "The tall, blonde keeps looking at you," she said. I was about to turn but Velvet grabbed my arm. "Turn slowly," she whispered. "Make it look like I didn't tell you." She winked then turned back to wait for her turn in the food line.

I followed Velvet's instructions. I turned slowly to see the tall, blonde boy I saw a while ago. He was looking, but I'm sure not at me, behind me. I bet he was looking at Velvet. I mean, seriously, Velvet's really pretty.

I turned back to see Velvet smirking at me. "I told you," she winked. "He was looking at you," I pointed out. "He wasn't looking at me." Velvet shook her head. "He was looking at you," she insisted. "Bet you 5 bucks, he is." I smirked. "Deal," I said.

We reached the food area and grabbed some servings. I just grabbed some baked potatoes and broiled fish. I glanced at the tall boy again but he was busy talking to some blonde girl, I recognized from Cabin #1.

"JANE!" I heard someone call. I turned around to see George sitting on one of the empty tables. "Over here!" I smiled at him, then looked at Ems, Elle and Velvet. "It's okay," Ems smiled. "Go to your friend."

"I'm eating with my brother," Elle groaned. "You'd be surprised that we're twins. We have polar personalities." Elle walked to her brother, who was with the tall people. I bid Ems and Velvet goodbye then went to George.

"Hey," I smiled as I slid my tray across his. "Fish and potatoes?" he looked at my food. I shrugged and he laughed. "Won't blame you," he said. "The food here sucks." I nodded.

"How's the cabin?" he asked. "Alright," I told him. "It's too early to tell about what might happen." He nodded. "I couldn't agree more," he said. "My cabinmates are... I don't know. Okay, I guess."

I smiled. "Everything will be okay in the end," I told him. "If it's not okay, it's not the end." He laughed at my reference. "Did you just go all John Lennon on me?" he asked. "Maybe I did," I shrugged innocently. He laughed and I have did too, a little.

We were laughing so much that we didn't notice another tray slide beside me. When someone cleared their throat, George and I stopped laughing and turned to see Elle with a small smile.

"I hope you don't mind me sitting here," she said. "My brother was being an asshole, and some twig btiches decided to join the table. It was getting weird so I left." George and I nodded. "You're welcome to join us anytime," George said.

"George," I said. "This is Elle, my cabinmate." George smiled and held out his hand. "Nice to meet you, Elle," he said. "You too," Elle shook his hand. "Thanks for letting me sit with you guys."

The same thing went on. We played 20-questions again, the only difference is Elle is with us now. Both of them did most of the talking, I was just talking when I had to answer or if it was my turn to ask.

"By the way, Jane," Elle stopped asking and changed the topic. "Luke asked for your name." I raised an eyebrow. "Who's Luke?" I asked. "Mhhmm," Elle looked around. "That guy." She pointed at the same boy Velvet talked about in the lunch line.

"Ooohh," George smirked. "Janey-bear has a secret admirer!" I shot him a questioning look. "Janey-bear?" I repeated. "Not the point," he shook his head. "The point is that boy," he peaked at Luke. "is taking an interest."

"What did you say?" I asked Elle. She smiled. "I told him all about you," she said. "I think he was going to ask more questions but that dirty blonde-haired girl joined in and was all over him." She made a gagging noise.

We finished our lunch and agreed to go outside before Sophia calls for end of break. The camp looked pretty, in a way. There was a good view of the lake and the best part was our cabin was really near. The center of the camp had a huge firepit for bonfires obviously.

George, Elle and I sat by the dock area and stared at the lake. The other side of the lake was full of trees and the whole sight just looked so peaceful. I haven't felt peace in a long time. It's a nice feeling.

"Do you think we could use those?" George pointed at the canoes at the side of the lake. I shrugged. "It's best if we don't yet," Elle said. "We don't want to get in trouble in our first day of camp, right?" The three of us agreed.

None of us said anything after that. We just stared at the lake and enjoyed the feeling, the sight, everything. These don't always come often when you're in New York, so I sort of smiled at myself.

"Attention, campers," Sophia's voice rang through the speakers once again. "Counselor Sophia here. Please proceed to House B immediately. We will be doing some group sharing. Thank you."

"Well, that was cool," George got up. "We rarely get the feel in New York, right Jane?" I nodded. Elle laughed at us. "Let's go to the House B now," she said. "I wonder what's group sharing."

George, Elle and I made our way to the House B. The path towards the place was quite rocky so we had to be extra careful. Well, me, being a klutz, I'm twice screwed. I took a deep breath and started walking. George and Elle way ahead of me.

"The rocks are so rocky," George sighed. "You just emphasized the word 'rock'," Elle laughed. George was right. I stepped on a rock that was so "rocky", according to George, it sort of caused me to slip.

I was about to come in contact with the ground but arms caught me by my waist. "Oof," I grunted. The person holding me laughed. I looked up to see... Luke. "S-sorry," I muttered. He smiled a little, cheekings tinting. "It's okay," he said. "You're okay right?" I nodded.

I looked at my shoes. He was still looking at me and he was still holding my waist. I sort of grabbed his warm hands and removed them around my waist. I gave him a small smile.

"I-I should g-go," I stammered. He nodded. I move past him and fast-walked my way towards George and Elle. "Oooohh!" Elle smirked. "Shut up," I whispered and dragged them both inside.

Wow, was all I could think about.