12. The Best Friend

(c) - Isobel (@BellaVanella)

Luke and I went back to the camp, then we separated by the docks since he was going to meet up with Calum. I, on the other hand, still refused to go back to the cabin. Who knows, Elle and Michael were still doing that.

I started to walk around when I saw George sitting outside his cabin all alone. I smiled and started to approach him. He was staring at an old photograph intently, but he smiled when he saw me approaching.

"Hey," I sat beside him on the cabin stairs. "What's up?" He looked at me with a smirk. "The sky is up," he teased. "Sassy," I rolled my eyes then we both laughed.

I looked at the picture he was holding. It was him, looking a few years younger than now. He had a huge smile on his face, and there was a brunette beside him. Her smile was as big as his. They both looked so happy, like genuinely happy. It was even hard to believe that suicide ever came across George's mind when I stare at his old picture.

"Who's she?" I asked George, nudging my head towards the photo. George smiled slightly. "Ava," he answered. "She was my girlfriend." I beamed at George. "She's very beautiful," I told him. "I know," George said. "She was the most beautiful girl I ever saw."

George told me all about him and Ava. It was the typical love story where you grew up with each other, but then you fall in-love. It was really cliche, but the way George spoke about it. He spoke with a hint of pride and a voice full of love, that's what made it so special.

"Where's Ava now?" I asked him. That's when George's expression turned grim and he looked out to the lake. "S-she died 3 years ago," he answered. That's when my heart broke at his story. "Leukemia. She was only 16."

I could tell that George was fighting back his tears. "It nearly broke me in half," he continued. "It was a miracle that I managed to live 2 years of my life without her." I looked at him and he was slightly shaking.

"We had our whole lives planned," he added. "After High School, she would go to NYU. I would go to Juilliard then we would get married then have 3 children. We would move to Iceland then we would live our happy ever after, as she would call it."

I nodded. It wasn't my relationship, but I could feel George's pain. "But things changed," he sighed. "Fucking leukemia killed her, so I thought that the only way that I get to be with her was if I killed myself."

So that was his story. He wanted to kill himself so he could be with Ava. His one, great love. Ava really was beautiful. If she could make George that happy, then that's beyond amazing.

"I'm sorry," I told George. "She meant a lot to you, and I'm sorry to hear about that." George smiled. "She never left me though," he looked at me. I gave him a questioning look. "If I didn't try to kill myself, I never would've met you and Elle."

I gave him a questioning look, but he shook it off. "I used to think Ava was the only one I had," he said. "Everyone in school thought I was some loser, but she never left me even when she had the chance."

"When she died," he continued. "I felt so alone. I had no one. I had no friends, whatever. The only thing I thought of was to swallow loads of pills and I did, but they made it in time just to save my damn ass."

"My parents never understood how much Ava meant to me," he said. "They sent me to rehab. I stayed there for 6 months. They told me how Ava would want me to live my life and such. When I was stable enough, they released me and brought me here. That's when I met you guys. It's like she put me through shit and led me to you, so I can feel less lonely. You're like... my Best Friend."

I smiled at George. "I can say the same thing about you," I told him. "If Ava really did lead you to me, then I'm thankful. Even though I've never met her, I owe her a lot because I have my Best Friend now. Someone I know who'll stay till the very end."

I hugged the life out of George, if that was possible. He smiled and hugged me back. It's only a short time, but I feel less alone here. I'm with my Best Friend, someone I can count on. Someone who will be there. Someone who won't give up on me, even when I've given up on myself.

"Now," he laughed. "Tell me about you and Luke." I blushed and looked at my feet. I guess Best Friends are Best Friends. You have to tell. "H-he's my boyfriend now," I said. Geoge gasped. "NO WAY!" he hugged me. "I'm so happy for you. Luke's one lucky guy."

"I think I'm the lucky one," I told him. "I couldn't even believe Luke would notice someone like me." George shook his head in disbelief. "Why wouldn't he?" he asked. "You're beautiful, Jane! You have to see that. You're an amazing person."

I looked at him and laughed. George was trying to be serious, but he ended up laughing too. This is what I want in life. Laughter. Laughing with the people you care about, not worrying about a thing in the world. It's an amazing feeling.

"There you guys are!" George and I stopped laughing and saw Michael and Elle approaching hand-in-hand. "Oh, crap," I mumbled. George gave me a questioning look. "Hello George, Hello Jane," Michael and Elle greeted. "Mind if we sit?"

George and I both shook our heads. Michael sat beside me and Elle sat on his lap. As much as possible, I avoided eye contact. It was still awkward.

"Listen," Elle started. "Jane, what you--" I didn't let her finish. "I didn't see anything," I blurted out. "I didn't see anything. Can we just drop it and forget?" Elle and Michael both smiled. "Thank you," they beamed.

George shot the 3 of us a suspicious look. "What did I miss?" he asked. I shook my head. "Oh, George," I sighed. "You have no idea." I answered, trying to shake the memory out of my head.

// Two updates in day. WOW! :)

* Anyway, guys... photo of George and Ava (Laura Marano) at the side.