40. Gone

(c) - isobel (@bellavanella)

"Just like that?" Elle gasped as I told her of the events that happened last night. Wordlessly, I nodded. Elle's eyes darkened. "That son of a bitch," she muttered. "I swear. I'll let Michael beat the living shi--"

"No need," I cut her off. "I already made it clear to him that he and I are never getting back together." Elle sighed. "I just don't get it," Elle said. "I was a 100% sure that he was madly in-love with you."

"Screw it," I told her. "Let's not think about this. We have George and his stupid family to worry about it."

Elle groaned. "They're total bastards," she said. "They don't deserve to have someone like George in their lives. They're so shit."

"Well," I chuckled. "Without them, George wouldn't even be in this world. Mrs. Johnson's stomach popped George out, remember?"

"That's a terrible reference," Elle said. "But I'll allow it. We all need humour once in a while anyway."

We both got out of the bus stop near Sydney Hope Hospital then walked inside. We were about to head to the elevators when the receiptionist called our attention.

"Are you here to see Johnson?" she asked. Elle and I both nodded. "Well," she checked her monitor. "He got moved to Building #2. Room 509. ICU."

We thanked her after. "I can't believe they really did it," Elle said as we walked towards the ICU. "They moved George to the ICU and left him."

We arrived and Olivia stood up when she saw us. She had a sad smile on her face, so Elle and I hugged her.

"Do you want the good news first, or the bad news?" she asked. "The bad news," Elle answered nonchalantly. "Well," she scratched her hair. "His heart rate weakend so we're trying to stabilize it. The toxins from the liver spread all over George's body. Right now, the doctors are finding ways to get rid of them."

"Good news?" I started to tear up again. "Good news is..." Olivia didn't finish her sentence. Instead, she nudged her head and the door to George's room opened. There stood the Johnsons.

"..They chose to stay," Olivia finished. The Johnsons slowly approached us. "You were right," Mr. Johnson spoke to me and Elle. "George is our son and right now, he needs us the most. Work can kiss my ass. I will be here for my son."

"Thank you," Mrs. Johnson held out her hand. Elle and I both shook it. We went inside the ICU, and found George on his bed.

There were wires all over his chest. He seemed to be in a so much complicated process but he had a peaceful place. It was almost like he was having a good dream.

I leaned down and kissed his forehead. I grabbed his hand and held onto it as tight as I could. Best Friends, I thought. 

"George," I began to talk. "I guess life really does suck, doesn't it? I was such a fool for trusting Luke once more. Right now, living seems to be harder than ever." I let out a shaky laugh.

"I guess now I understand why you did it," I told him. "Getting up and facing the day, that ought to suck when you don't know what the heck you're doing with your life anymore."

"I'm not choosing for you," I went on. "You stay, you leave. It's all up to you. But I want you to know that you're my Best Friend and I'll miss having you around. I'm sure Ava's out there waiting for you now, but I'm sure she can wait more if you choose to stay. Whatever."

"It's all up to you now," I concluded. "We just want you to be happy with whatever. I just want you to know that I love you and I wish you the best in whatever decision you make. You're the best friend I could ever ask for. Thank you for everything."

I kissed his hand, then Elle gave me a sad smile. I gave her the privacy as she spoke to George. I stayed in the corner and let the tears flow. It got worse when I heard Elle cry. I kind of wish we brought Michael along with us.

I felt a hand touch my shoulder and I turned to see Elle, face stained with tears. "Let's go," she said. "Let's go home. I can't stand this anymore." I was too weak to say anything else so I nodded, and we left.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * 

The excessive banging of our cabin door was what woke me up in the morning. I groaned and buried myself onto my pillow. Travelling from the hospital to camp is exhausting, so can you blame me?

"What the fuck?" Elle yelled out. "I'm opening it. Chill out!" She walked towards the door and opened it. I opened my eyes and sat up.

I saw Director Daze, standing outside, which was surprising since why would a camp director be outside our cabin. She doesn't give a crap about us.

She was panting as if she ran a marathon. She then held out her cellphone for Elle to take. Elle took it without question.

"What is this?" she asked. Director Daze was still catching her breath. When she managed to do so, she stood up straighter. "It's O-Olivia," she huffed. "She was looking for you and Jane..."

Elle took the phone and held it out to her ear. "Olivia," Elle called. "It's Elle.. what's up?" They were on the phone for a minute before Elle's eyes widened. She looked at me and I gave her a questioning look.

She didn't say anything else. She handed me the cellphone and sat on her bed. She looked like she was in shock. She just sat on her bed, looking all numb.

"Hey Olivia," I greeted. "It's Jane..." Olivia was sobbing. I was worried something must have happened. "It's alright, Olivia," I told her. "Breathe in, breathe out.."

Olivia managed to do so before she began talking. "Jane," she sniffled out. "He's gone."

* r.i.p. george johnson :(