36. Battle

(c) - isobel (@bellavanella)

Elle and I were in the waiting room with Olivia, waiting for the doctors to come out. Director Daze stayed in camp, trying to get hold of George's parents. She put Olivia in-charge and after many beggings, Olivia gave in and let me and Elle go with her, seeing as Elle and I were George's Best Friends.

It was around 6:30  a.m, when the doctor came out of the emergency room. We all stood up, hoping for news. The doctor slowly approached us and we anticipated what she was going to say.

"Hello," she said. "I'm Dr. Nguyen. Which one of you is a direct relative of George Johnson?" Olivia, Elle and I shook our heads. "I'm Olivia Clark," Olivia stepped out. "I'm the nurse of New Day Camp. I'm in-charge, so how is he?"

"Is there any way I can speak to you alone, Ms. Clark?" Dr. Nguyen asked. "We went through a complicated process because of the toxic chemicals that contaminated Mr. Johnson's digestive system. It might be too much to handle for others."

She eyed me and Elle. Whilst we were in the waiting room, Elle and I were tearing up, crazy worried about George. It was really obvious, the three of us have grown attached to each other. It's the best friendship I could ask for and now, it kills me that one of them may be gone.

"He'll be okay," Elle whispered. I sighed and nodded. "I don't want to lose him," I told her. "I don't either," she said. "I don't even know why George did this. He seemed happy over the weekend. This was at the back of my mind. Why would he do this?"

"Ava," I muttered. Elle turned to look at me. "What?" she asked. "Ava," I repeated. Elle shook her head. "Who's that?" she asked. "She was George's ex," I told her. "She died 3 years ago. Leukemia."

It was obviously about Ava. I don't understand the love she and George shared, seeing as I wasn't there. But if it reached this point, George must really love her so much. He tried to kill himself to be with her. It was painful and sad to witness.

"That's terrible," Elle said. "But wrong. Ava wouldn't want this for him. I'm sure she'd want George to live life to the fullest." I shrugged. "I don't know anymore," I sniffled. "But right now, all I can think about is George and how I want him to live."

The conversation ended there and Olivia came out a few minutes later. She looked like a mixture of sad, stressed and worried. She smiled slightly when Elle and I approached her.

"What happened?" I asked. "Is he okay? Is he awake? Can we see him? Nothing bad happened right? George will wake up--" Olivia cut me off by raising her palm. "Calm down, Jane," she said. "Dr. Nguyen and the rest are still working on it. Just drop it, okay?"

Her tone made me feel like she was skipping something. I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to infurate Olivia. She seemed to be in a not-so good mood now.

She sighed. "Listen," she grabbed her wallet from her purse and handed us some cash. "You and Elle take a cab to the station then a bus back to camp. You can come visit later, but just rest now okay?"

"But-" I tried to reason out when she cut me off. "Just stop, Jane, okay?" she snapped. "I understand that you and Elle are worried since you three are best friends but please, take a rest and leave this to me. I'll call when there's news."