47. Welcome Back

(c) - isobel (@bellavanella)

"Do you want us to go in with you?" Mom asked. I shook my head. "I'll be fine, Mom and Dad," I told her. "Let me spend one more day with them then you can come back and pick me up tomorrow for my flight."

Mom and Dad seemed hesitant but they both nodded and let me be. "Bye Mom, Bye Dad," I said as I got out of the car. "I love you both." They smiled as I walked back into the camp.

It's been 5 days since I got hospitalised, 3 days since I woke up and a day since I've been discharged from the hospital. Tomorrow, I'll be flying to Amsterdam and now, I'm dreading every moment as the clock ticks.

My first problem, how do I tell them? How do I tell my friends that I was leaving tomorrow, for good? I didn't know it was this hard to say goodbye, seeing as I've never done it before. Usually, it's the people who say it before I do.

Every person stares at me as I passed by, making my way to my cabin; cleary they've heard of my suicide attempt. They will talk about it and I can't do anything, so I'll just ignore it and be the better person.

I arrived in my cabin which was surprisingly quiet. I knocked on the door several times before it finally opened. There stood before me was Hannah Velvet Berkeley.

"Jane!" she smiled once she saw me. "You're back!" She gave me a hug which I returned. "Yes, I am," I smiled at her. "May I come in? I need to talk to you guys."

Velvet nodded. "Of course," she smiled. "We're all glad to have you back. We missed you." I smiled slightly and followed Velvet inside.

Elle waved at me once she saw me, and Ems did the same. They all sat on one bed while I sat across. Elle gave me a sad smile, seeing as she already knew what I was going to say.

I took a deep breath and began. "I'm happy to see you guys," I started out. "even if it's just for the day." Ems raised an eyebrow. "What are you talking about?" she asked.

I shook my head. "I didn't know how to put this out but here goes," I took another deep breath. "I'm leaving for Amsterdam tomorrow."

Ems and Velvet's eyes widened. Elle stood up and sat beside me, holding my hand. She gave me a reassuring smile and I nodded at her.

"Why so sudden?" Velvet asked. "You just got out of the hospital last night." I nodded. "I know that," I told her. "But leaving is what's best for me, Velvet. I put you guys through too much already and it needs to be put to rest. Besides, I need to get myself together. I need help."

There was silence. "I don't know what to say," Ems broke it. "I mean, things will change once you're gone. It feels like it all happened so fast."

"Nothing lasts forever, Ems," I reminded her. "I know things will change not just for you guys, but for me as well. But believe me when I say, it's going to be for the better."

"I'm going to Amsterdam, start university, see a therapist, be a better person," I told them. "You guys are going to stay here, finish your time in camp, go to the real world, live your life to the fullest, and you'll be happy."

"And maybe someday," I added. "The four of us will see each other. We'll talk and reminisce together, then we'll laugh at how ridiculous we were; so young and reckless."

The four of us laughed. "But for now," I told them. "We just need to keep going till we get there. It's not an easy road but it will be worth it."