26. Selfish

(c) - Isobel (@BellaVanella)

* first of all, Swan Lake has already hit 1K! so thank you so much. I did a dedication spree to those whose names were present at the Who's Reading portion in Swan Lake. If you want a dedication, comment!

I've endured another week in camp and I'm glad that it's Friday now, but Friday means Health & Fitness. I hate Health & Fitness Sessions. I'm not really athletic and today, we're playing volleyball. I can't even spike or serve, so I'm pretty much screwed.

"Breakfast?" Elle suggested as we both got out of the cabin. I nodded as we both made our way to the cafeteria. "How are you and Luke?" she asked as we kept walking. "In-love as ever?"

I sighed. "Yeah," I said. "I mean, we're good. It's just, he's being all weird lately. And he constantly tells me he loves me, but I feel like there's something he's not telling me."

"Talk to him about it," Elle said. "Relationships need communication. Open up to him and, eventually, he will do the same." I sighed and nodded.

I actually thought Luke and I were okay. We tell each other a lot of things. Communication problems between me and him was the last thing on my mind, but I guess more effort onto it won't hurt. I love Luke and I can't afford to lose him.

"Shit," Elle stopped walking and I did too. "Come with me." She dragged me by my wrist and we hid behind a nearby bush. "What's going on?" I asked. "Shhh," she placed a finger against her lips. "Peak a little then come back. You've got to see it."

I did as Elle told me to and I tiptoed so I could see what was behind the bush. My eyes widened at the sight. It was Luke, looking all angry and frustrated, but he wasn't alone. He was with Susan and they looked so engaged in a heated argument.

"Can you hear what they're saying?" I whispered to Elle, who shook her head. "I can try," she whispered back. "But our cover might be blown." I frowned. "Let's just drop it," I told her. "I trust Luke."

Elle and I got away from the bush and we slowly started to make our way to the cafeteria when we ran into Luke, again. He must've finished his talk with Susan.

"Jane? Elle?" he seemed surprised, then looked at the area where he and Susan were a while ago. "How long have you guys been here?"

Elle and I looked at each other. "We were just heading to breakfast," Elle answered. "What about you?" Luke shrugged. "I was just in my cabin. I was headed for breakfast too," he smiled slightly.

What a lie, I thought. Why was Luke lying to me? I don't get it. Why would he not tell me about running into Susan? I mean, he knows how Susan hates me and all. They were arguing. He could've at least told me about this.

"Let's go for breakfast," Elle told me and I nodded. "Want to join us, Luke?" Luke shook his head. "Well," he said. "I have to go to my cabin first. I'll catch up, yeah?" Before I could respond, Luke ran off.

"That was weird," Elle told me. "You guys used to be so clingy to each other. You both need to talk about this." I sighed and agreed. "Yeah," I said to her. "I'll tell him about it tonight."

Elle and I went on to eating Breakfast but Luke never showed. It was really hurting me and I know we'll have no choice, but to talk about this. Luke's hiding something and I want to know what it is. If this could possibly mean the end of us, the. I'll fight to save it. I have to. I need to.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

"Volleyball time, doofuses!" Counselor James called out. "I'll be picking two captains and you'll pick your players. I talked to the cafeteria crew and let's make this more interesting. Loser cleans the dishes tonight." Everyone groaned.