17. A Month and 11 Days

(c) - Isobel (@BellaVanella)

"Where's George?" Elle asked as both of us sat by the sand on the lake side. "He says he's busy," I answered. "He can't hang out with us." Elle sighed. "That's what he always says," she muttered. "But he just shuts himself in his cabin."

I've been in this camp for a month and 11 days. Believe it or not, I'm actually having fun here. Everything was going well. I have cool friends and an awesome boyfriend. That's more than I've ever had before.

But suddenly, George started acting all weird. He would isolate himself from us, not really hanging out. Every time I ask what was up, he would just tell me not to worry and shut me out. It got me and Elle worried, but we can't really force him to open up. It just pains me though, as his Best Friend, I don't know what's up.

"Whatever," Elle spoke. "He'll come around, enough with the sad thoughts. Let's talk about the fact that Luke's Birthday is in 5 days!" I laughed and nodded. Luke was turning 19. It was exciting. "What's the plan?" Elle asked.

"Well," I began to explain. "Ashton turned 21 a few days ago, then Calum talked to me about it. He said he's trying to convince the camp counselors to let us have a mini party for both of them. It'll be held on the 16th, so it's a Happy Birthday to Luke and a Happy-late-Birthday to Ashton."

"That's a great idea!" Elle cheered. "A party for both of them. Ashton should also feel the love!" I nodded. "Yeah, so a double celebration this Thursday," I told her. "I hope Calum wins them over." Elle rolled her eyes. "I hope so too," she said. "That little shit is bad at persuading people."

"Anyway," Elle continued. "Have you thought of any presents for them?" I shrugged. "I was thinking of giving Ashton a bandana since he seems to wear a lot of those," I told her. "But Luke's present, I haven't figured it out yet."

I felt pathetic. Luke is my boyfriend but I don't know what to get him for his Birthday. What kind of person am I? I bet if it were me, he knew what to get. How is it, that I don't know what to get him? Boy, this is hard.

"Jane," Elle smiled. "It doesn't matter what you get Luke. It's the thought that counts, but when you give that present. Remember that you're somehow giving him something that would remind him of you." Elle was right. Well, she's always right.

If I were to give Luke something, it would remind him of me. I hope that's a good thing, so I have to make sure that he likes this. I sighed at the difficult thought.

What to get Luke, what to get Luke, I thought. What to get Luke. Don't be such an idiot, Jane. Think of something Luke will like and appreciate because you gave it.

"Jane! Elle!" I looked up to see Calum running towards us. "Hey Cal," I greeted him as he stopped to catch his breath. "Hey asshole," Elle teased. "Bitch," Calum smirked and hugged his sister. "What's up?" I asked.

"Good news," Calum announced. "What is it?" I smiled. "Director Daze allowed us to throw a party for Luke and Ashton," he smiled. I squealed. "That's great!" I said. "Luke and Ash would be thrilled!" I patted him on the back.

"That's not all," Calum added with a smirk. "What else?" Elle asked. "He said we can have beer in the party!" he cheered. "Cal," Elle sighed. "You know it's not ideal for you to dri---"

"I know, Elle," Calum said. "That's why he only limited us to two cans to prevent any addiction relapse. Chill. I'll be fine." Elle hesitated but nodded.

I remembered Calum's alcohol problems before, but I'm sure he can fight it. He's a grown man. I'm sure he can control himself.

"So," Calum started. "Director Daze told me that we're in-charge of the party. That means I'm getting you, Elle and Michael."