37. The Ocean

(c) - isobel (@bellavanella)

"Are you ready?" Luke asked as we walked towards Director Daze's office. I nodded as Luke pushed the door open, allowing us both to enter. "Good morning, Mrs. Martin," Luke greeted Director Daze's 50-something-old secretary.

"What do you teenagers want?" she snapped, not bothering to look away from her computer screen. "We're here to see Director Daze," I told her. She looked at me and Luke with an annoyed expression, before sighing and grabbing a telephone.

"One second," she pointed at me and Luke. We both looked at each other and Luke shrugged. "Director," she said on the phone. "Two teenagers are outside your office. They want to talk to you."

There was silence for a while before she groaned and slammed the phone. "Go in," she ordered. "Thank you," Luke and I both said as we made our way into Director Daze's office.

We both entered Director Daze's office. Everything was wooden furniture and the windows were open, allowing us to breathe in the fresh air from the outside. Her office was so tidy, except her desk.

I moved closer and saw that there was a folder on her table. There was a label at the side, and it made my heart pump in pain. George S. Johnson.

"Hello!" Director Daze, who was standing by her fridge in the corner, greeted us. "Um," Luke and I glanced at each other. "Hi," I said. "Director Daze, I'm Jane. That's Luke."

"I know who you both are," Director Daze said as she made her way to her desk. "You," she looked at me. "were present on the night of Mr. Johnson's tragedy, and you," she looked at Luke. "Let's just say, I know you because a lot of girls, especially that Susan girl, talks about you all the time."

I balled my fist at the mention of Susan. She was the last person I wanted to think of right now, but I just really felt so frustrated at the mention of her name. She practically ruin what could've been the best summer of my life.

"Sorry to hear that," Luke told Director Daze. "But someone already owns my heart." He looked at me and I blushed, looking away. "Oh!" Director Daze beamed. "I heard about you two. Jane here is the envy of every girl because she's your girlfriend."

"Actually," I told her. "We bro--" Luke cut me off guard. "Thank you, Director," he smiled. "We're very happy together and I'm so in-love with her." I glared at Luke and he just gave me that shut up look of his.

"I see," she said. "Congratulations." Luke and I both thanked her. "Now," she sat on her desk chair. "Take a seat and let's head to business." Luke and I sat on the chairs in-front. She then asked, "What brings you here?"

"We want to visit George in the hospital," I blurted out. Director Daze seemed to silence when I spoke. "We want to see George," Luke repeated. "Me, Jane and a couple of friends."

Director Daze shook her head. "I see," she said. "I'm sorry, but I don't think it's possible. It's not ideal for post-rehabilitation teenagers like you to visit people who have the same condition as George."

"Why not?" I asked. "Because, Jane," Director Daze sighed. "George is a relapsee." I raised an eyebrow. "A what?" I questioned.

"George Johnson was suicidal," she explained. "He recovered in his time of rehabilitation but for some unexplained reason, he has relapsed. That would explain so much about the pills he has stolen from Nurse Olivia's office. He had a drug overdose."