38. Hospital Visit

(c) - isobel (@BellaVanella)

"Who are we hitching with anyway?" I asked Luke as we walked towards the camp gate the next day. "My Mum," Luke answered. "I called her this morning. She's bringing her car. It could fit most of us, but some would have to sit on the others' laps."

"Fair enough," I nodded. "I'm cool with it as long as we get to see George." Luke grabbed my hand and intertwined it with his. "I love you," he smiled. "I love you too," I told him.

We arrived at the camp gate and spotted the rest already there. Luke kissed my head before walking towards Ashton, Michael and Calum. I, on the other hand, went to Velvet, Elle and Ems. They all had puzzled looks on their faces and I knew why.

"Guys," Elle spoke up. "May I speak to Jane alone?" Ems and Velvet nodded. Elle and I moved to the side near enough to be with the rest, but far enough to be heard.

"When did that happen?" Elle asked. "Yesterday," I answered her. "You still love him?" she asked. "I don't think I ever stopped," I told her. "Are you guys back together?" she asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know, Elle," I told her. "But right now, I just want to take it slow. We should devote our time to George right now. He needs us more than ever."

"Okay," Elle said. "But just so you know, I ship it." She winked and I rolled my eyes, as we both walked back to the others.

After a couple more minutes, a car stopped a few feet away from us. It was a minivan that could fit, surely, all of us. Luke was underexaggerating when he said that we had to sit on the others' laps. We'll be fine.

"Luke!" Liz came out of the driver's seat to give her son a warm embrace. "Hey Mum," Luke beamed after they pulled away. Liz smiled and looked at me. "Jane," she chirped and held out her arms.

I gave her a quick hug before pulling away. "It's nice to see you again, Mrs. Hemmings," I grinned. Liz chuckled and shook her head. "Jane," she said. "I told you to call me Liz."

"Liz," I nodded and she smiled wider. "Are you treating her well, Luke?" Liz asked. My eyes widened and I looked at Luke. He never told his Mum we broke up. "Uh, I hope I am," Luke said warily. "I love her so much."

Liz nodded. "Alright," she said. "Come on in, everyone. We've got a long way to go. Luke, Jane, you can sit on the front seat. It's big enough for you both." I hesitated but nodded, following her and Luke to the front.

Luke opened the door and held it for me. I slid in and he followed right after. We both fit, but we were close to each other, our arms touching. I turned to look and the others were piling in behind.

"Alright, everyone," Liz said. "Saddle up. Sydney Hope Hospital, here we come.."

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

"I'll be back around 6 p.m to pick you all up and take you back to camp, alright?" Liz reminded Luke. He nodded. "Yes, Mum," Luke said. "Thank you. It means a lot to me, and Jane, everyone basically."

Liz nodded. "Anything for my son and my future daughter-in-law," she winked. "Keep her close, Luke. She's a keeper." Luke nodded. "I will, Mum," he said. "Bye. I love you."

I pretended to be engrossed at the bulletin board in Sydney South West Hospital. Luke didn't need to know that I was eavesdropping the conversation he just had with his Mom.