Chapter 2 - What Daddy Says

Ambrosine Brooks
Summer, 2018
Harlem, NY

" Can I help you?" He said

" You seem to have some interest in her . You can help yourself to one of these broads standing around because she's not interested in the low class."

Jah and a few other guys began to surround us.

" What this nigga on Saint?" Jah said.

" He not on shit." Saint laughed.

I could see Niche reach for his waist and then hesitated. Saint stepped closer to me and placed his arm over my shoulder.

" Do something stupid. I dare you." He chuckled and held on to me tightly.

" Your best bet is to step away from her." Niche stepped to him. I removed his arm off my shoulder and he let me. He was bigger and stronger than me. I don't think he wants to hurt me. What I did know was that he wanted to get under Niche's skin. I pushed his arm aside and stood off to the side, staring at their exchange—shorts soaked by the water still.

" We should go." I said to Chasity as she walked over to me.

" You need some drama in your life..Just sit back and watch" Chasity mumbled with a smile plastered on her face at the sight of someone challenging Niche.

" Not with this fool. Niche is psycho." I said.

"I think he met his match." Chasity added.

Niche stepped to him and again he spat on the ground barely missing his sneakers.

" Watch yourself." Niche added.

" You got something important you wanna say or you in my face for nothing?" Saint said. Jah stood watching the exchange between the two.

" And It's no need for the crowd. I just wanna know why son in my face." He added.

Niche lit a blunt and blew smoke in his face. You could see his anger building up. That was a sign of disrespect to him.

" Yo watch that shit." Saint stepped to him.

" Or what?" Niche chuckled.

" I'll show you what." He flashed a gun he had on his hip. Niche laughed.

" Oh yeah? You about that life then do it."

" Don't tempt me nigga. We could move this away from the kids real quick." He said.

" You ain't no real killer if you care about these kids."

" You ain't no real nigga if you don't." Saint added.

" What you doing over here?" Niche turned to me and ignored his response.

" She with me. Why you care?" He continued to taunt him.

It got under his skin. He was no longer all smiles and unfazed. He was pissed.

" This nigga bothering you?" He asked me and I ain't wanna say shit because it's not that deep it's just ice. But Niche would never settle for silence.

" Nothing Niche.." I said.

" You a real smart girl. I never knew you was into low life dudes. Since when?" He asked.

" Low life?" Saint laughed

" Nigga ain't that what I said?" He hit his blunt.

" This your bitch? Why you worried? She grown." Jah asked causing a few people he walked over with to laugh.