Chapter 41- Skin Deep

Ambrosine Brooks

Last night was perfect up until I had to deal with Natalie. Nova is such a sweet kid and I would do her no harm. This is why I don't do baby daddies. Natalie clearly is in love with Saint and is out to be spiteful. She will hold that child over his head until she's grown.
    He's been giving me the cold shoulder since we both woke up this morning.
I've been up since 7am undoing my braids to wash my hair. Everything felt so last minute this year with my birthday. To top it off, I had been rushing all morning and didn't feel comfortable enough to ask for help.

" Where are you going?" His raspy voice asked as his were eyes still closed. He laid back down after avoiding a conversation with me all morning. He's been in and out of sleep.

" I have stuff I need to handle."

" Aight" He said before stretching and getting out of bed.

" I gotta go make some money." He said before walking into the bathroom.

" I could take you where you need to be. Just give be a minute." He said.

" It's fine I can Uber."

" You rather spend money than get a ride from me?"

" It's not that deep. You have stuff you need to handle and I don't want to stop that."

" My schedule moves on my time. I can take you."

" It's fine Saint."

" We have a problem?" He stepped out the bathroom and asked.

I sighed. "Here we go." I mumbled.

" There's no problem." I added.

I lost an hour of my day waiting on him. I had to go buy my hair and get it installed. I was hoping this girl didn't cancel on me or I'd be begging Chasity to do my hair.

The car ride to run errands was silent. It felt cold even. We didn't speak. The radio played and filled the car with noise. He followed me around, paid for everything and kept quiet.

He dropped me off to the salon where I'd be getting my hair done at. I felt relieved to finally get some time away from him.

"Thanks." I said getting out his car with a bag of hair. He nodded.

He sat in his car and watched as I walked in.

" Hello. How are you? I'm here for my 4pm appointment." I smiled.

The stylist Kaitlyn took me over to wash my hair and it felt nice. I was happy to find a stylist that still washed hair.
She walked away for a moment to have a conversation.

" He fine." I heard. I sighed and opened my eyes hoping there was no soap nearby.

" He sure is." Another woman said.

" Hello how can I help you?"

" Hello." He said dryly.

" How much is her hair?" He asked.

" Which one? Cynthia?" She asked referring to another customer who was being serviced in a different chair. She was lighter, had a fake body and huge lips.

He didn't respond. He walked closer to me. The hair stylist raised a brow and smiled.

" Oh, Audi." She spoke as if she knew me. I booked under Ambrosine but that name will forever be tied to Harlem as "Niche's daughter".

" It's $250." She said.

He placed money in my hand.

" What time you'll be done? I'll come back and grab you."