Chapter 46 - "Lissa."

While Louis and Fran prepared dinner at their home, Louis repeatedly called his parents and the hospital to check on Melissa's condition. Melissa was all that Louis was thinking about. He even googled medicines that he could help with to improve her health. Fran stood by Louis's side, listening and trying to keep him calm throughout the way.

"So what'd they say?" Louis asked as he stirred the homemade alfredo pasta they made for dinner. "Is her condition okay?"

Fran sat in their apartment chair, watching as Louis took a deep breath.

"Thank God. I prayed the entire night." Louis sighed.

"Is she okay, babe?" Fran asked.

"She's fine." Louis mouthed to her, getting back onto the phone. "How is she?"

Fran got up and grabbed two plates as Louis gave off a confused look.

"A coma? What do you mea...." Louis paused. "Is she gonna wa-"

*BANG BANG BANG!*

Fran glanced over at the door, getting up out of her seat.

"I'll get it." Fran murmured to Louis as she slid in front of their door.

When Fran opened the door, they saw two police officers standing there.

"How may I help you, officers?" Fran asked.

"Is this the home of Louis Rodriguez?" Two detectives asked.

"Yes?"

"We have a warrant to search this apartment for any sort of poisonings, mostly arsenic." The first detective said as he held up a sheet, watching as the second detective walked by with a box.

"Hold on dad, I'm gonna call you back." Louis said as he hung up the phone and walked ahead. "What's going on, detectives?"

"They say that they've got a search warrant." Fran said in a worried tone.

"A search warrant? Are you guys CRAZY!?" Louis scowled as he slammed his phone down. "You really think that I would poison my own sister?"

"It's routine, sir." The second detective said as forensic analysts filled the apartment.

"Routine? You're raiding my home!" Louis shouted as he placed his hands out. "I'm gonna have to rearran-"

"You didn't do anything wrong, did you?" The first detective asked.

"No?"

"Then you have nothing to worry about." The first detective said as they continued to search. "Since you were the one that your sister was staying with at the time of this poisoning, we have no choice but to investigate you first."

Louis shook his head and walked back into the kitchen when the analysts took the large pot of food that him and Fran were making.

"Hey. Hey!" Louis said as he walked up to them. "That's my dinner-"

"We have to investigate and make sure that there isn't any arsenic in here as well." One of the analysts said as they took a noodle sample and placed it into a plastic bag.

Louis shook his head and sat down in his seat, covering his face. Fran walked over to him and sat on Louis's lap, kissing him on his forehead.

"It's gonna be alright, sweetheart." Fran murmured to him as she placed her tucked lips on his temple. "Just keep praying and God'll answer your prayers."

Meanwhile, Maria was taking it twice as hard. She was so worried about Melissa that she couldn't even sleep during the middle of the night. At 9:05pm, Maria sat at her table and nervously sipped on her glass of wine, thinking of nothing but her daughter. When Rodrigo came downstairs, he placed on his robe and placed his hands onto her shoulders.