High School Reunion (Fluff)

I'm going to try and make this longer, I feel like all my imagines are wayyyy too short.

Y/N POV:

I stare at the invitation in my hand. How has it been 10 years already? 10 years since I left school and stepped into the abyss known to man as adulthood. It felt like only yesterday when I was wandering the halls, chatting to everyone and coming up with crap excuses as to why I hadn't done the homework.

It's fair to say that in High School, I was one of the popular ones. Wherever I went, there would always be a large crowd around me, hanging onto my every word. It was great, it was nice to feel wanted and that people would actually notice if I suddenly wasn't around. It definitely made each day exciting, as a big group meant more drama and back then, I LOVED drama. Whether it was breakups, fights or whatever, I lived for it. Of course, I wasn't a total bitch like I'm making myself sound. If someone was crying, panicking or just generally down, I'd be there to comfort them. I hated anybody being sad, so I would go out of my way to bring their mood up or to make them feel a tiny bit better. I think that's another reason as to why I was so popular, I did genuinely care about everyone.

However, when I left High School everything changed. We all went our separate ways, promising to stay in touch and arrange regular meet ups. But the reality is, it doesn't last long, if at all. At the time, of course, we genuinely meant it. We were under the impression that we'd all be friends forever and ever, connected with the strong bond we'd built up over the years. The reality is, you make new friends and settle into new routines, so you have less time to dwell on the past. I've managed to stay in touch with some people, but it's a mere amount compared to how many friends I had in High School. At first it hurt, but as you get older you realise that it's one of those things, it sucks but then again, that's life. 

I turn the envelope over in my hands, wondering who will actually turn up and if so, what will they all be like. Will David have become the Doctor he always dreamed of being? Will Emily have become a lawyer? From Facebook, I've seen that quite a lot of my friends are married and some even have kids. I stare at my bare engagement ring finger and can't help but feel a pang of sadness. Until a few months ago, I was in a relationship and I genuinely thought we were reaching a stage where we would become engaged, but it wasn't meant to be. The truth is, I've never really recovered from the 'crush' I had in High School, Brendon. Out of the whole friendship group, he was the one I was closest with. We knew what each other was thinking without even having to say anything, we had such a strong bond. We would spend hours together, watching movies or listening to music. For me, music was a hobby but for him, it was his life. In class, he would jot down random lyrics and then when he got home, he would pile them together and create songs. So, it came as no surprise to anyone when we found out he'd joined a band and they'd become very successful. Even now when I hear them on the radio, tears fill my eyes because I genuinely think I loved him, I just never had the guts to say anything to him.

I text my friend, Jess, to ask if she's going to the reunion. She confirms that she is and then goes into a rant about how excited she is and she can't wait to see what everyone's done with their lives. I, on the other hand, am not quite as ecstatic about it as she is. What have I really done with my life? I'm not married, I have no kids and I work in a grocery store after the school I'd worked out shut down. Not one single part of my life is anything to boast about, but I suppose it'll be nice to see everyone. I send a text to Jess, to tell her I'm going, which sends her off into yet another rant.

*Reunion Day*

I stare at myself in the mirror, wishing that my hair will suddenly become more voluminous as it looks so flat and lifeless. I've decided to wear a black dress that hugs my figure, which is the only thing that has remained the same. I've managed to retain the curves I had all those years ago, small mercies, hey? Realising that there's nothing more I can do to make myself look any better, I call a taxi and then make my way back to High School.