Day 2: Fancy Seeing You Here (Imagine)

Okay so the website where I'm getting these Christmas Prompts from seem to love the idea of Staff Christmas Parties, so we'll all just have to deal with it ahahaha

Y/N POV:

"It'll be fun, trust me. Stay for an hour and if it's really as bad as you think, then we can leave" Y/F/N says, fluttering her eyelashes at you, knowing full well that you struggle to say no to her.

"Fine, but you owe me big time for this. I spend enough time with them in the office, tonight was my one break away from them" I say, hauling myself off the sofa as I realise she's not going to back down. The office had been buzzing all week, everyone was excitedly talking about what they were going to wear. Every time I overheard one of those God awful conversations, I would just roll my eyes and pray for the ground to swallow me up. It's not that I don't like Christmas because, believe it or not, I really do. But, it's my first Christmas since my break up so it just feels extra lonely this year. 

"What are you going to wear? You have so many outfits I've never even seen before" Y/F/N shouts. She's already ran up the stairs and is raiding my wardrobe. I'm a bit of a shopaholic when it comes to clothes, I'll buy outfits without properly thinking about when I'll wear them.

"You pick what I should wear, I'm going to sort my face and hair out" I call out to her, making my way into the spare bedroom, which doubles as a makeup storage room. Sitting in front of the mirror, I try to drum up some enthusiasm but I feel empty. I try to wash out all thoughts of him but it's no use, I can't help but wonder where he is. 

*An Hour Later*

As we make our way into the venue, I can hear Mariah Carey being blasted from some distant speaker. Luckily, I necked a few shots on my way over so I don't feel quite as 'flat' but still not in the mood for a party. There are already a few people staggering around, obviously too invested in the party spirit.

"One hour, okay? But, I bet you'll end up loving it" Y/F/N winks at me, grabbing me by the hand and pulling me towards the main hall. It's almost full to bursting with people, most sporting tinsel or weird Christmas hats, I look remarkably underdressed compared to them. 

I scan the room and spot a few of my colleagues, their faces red from too much drink. I have to refrain from rolling my eyes, reminding myself that they're allowed to have some fun. Y/F/N has already abandoned me and is right in the middle of the dance floor, an adoring crowd surrounding her. Making my way to the nearest table, I take a sip from my flash that I bought along, wincing as the alcohol burns the back of my throat. 

"Y/N?" I hear a voice say and I turn round and I feel my stomach do a somersault.

"Brendon?" I ask, even though I know full well that it is him but why? He left our company ages ago, vowing never to return.

"Yeah, I know I know. James invited me along and I couldn't resist" He laughs and I find myself struggling to smile back. I haven't seen him since the day we broke up. I'd gone round his house, after picking up his favourite food. From the second he opened the door I knew something was wrong. His face didn't light up as it usually did and he looked almost disappointed to see me. To his credit, he didn't mess about. He told me that things weren't working out and that we were different people blah blah blah. I didn't even reply, I was choked up with tears.

"It's been 3 months" I say, my voice completely neutral. It's the alcohol that's giving me the confidence, normally I'd just say nothing.

"I know and you don't know how bad I feel, really. I made a mistake" His voice softens and I wince.

"You don't get to say that now, you don't get to mess with my head like that" I reply, anger rising inside me. He places his hand on my arm and I stare at it, almost as if it's a venomous snake. I look up at him and get lost in those eyes of his. Those damn eyes, they always were my weakness.

"I'm not trying to mess with your head. I miss you Y/N, I've wanted to call you but figured you'd just hang up" He says. I want to agree, to tell him that I would have thrown my phone across the room but I can't. I would have picked up and let him come crawling back to me.

"I would have answered, I miss you too" I reply. Fuck. He leans closer to me, my eyes dart from his eyes to his lips. God, why am I so weak? Before I know it, his lips are pressed against mine and I'm not even fighting it, I'm letting it happen. He tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear and moans into the kiss slightly. I regain all my senses and suddenly remember where we are. Reluctantly I pull away, thanking my lucky stars that nobody's actually seen us.

"Hey Brendon, there's someone here to see you" Someone calls and Brendon reluctantly gets up, telling me he'll come back as soon as he can. 

I wait at the table for the rest of the evening, scanning the room in an attempt to seek him out. Every time I think I see him, it turns out to be someone else. Downing the last of my drink, I get up to find Y/F/N and tell her that it's time to go. 

As I make my way outside I almost drop to my knees in shock. Standing not very far from me, pinned up against a wall, is Y/F/N, being kissed by none other than Brendon. 

I call a cab, vowing to never speak to either of them again. I will not let myself be weakened that easily again.

Thank U, Next